Author Topic: RAF Service Numbers  (Read 5023 times)

Offline redduck26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Service Numbers
« on: Friday 30 December 16 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I am trying to obtain RAF WWII service records for my Father and I need to find out his service number. Has anyone any idea if it is possible to find the number anywhere online. I have spent some time going round in circles but still cant find any help. Thank you :)

Offline Mark G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Service Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 16 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Go to the National archives website and have a look at the free digital microfilm AIR 78

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C2132

Regards

mark

Offline Mark G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 December 16 01:21 GMT (UK) »
I hope he wasn't called John Smith !

If you want to apply for his service records sometimes this is possible by referencing a persons national registration Index Number or National Insurance Number. Have you looked for him on the 1939 national registration Index - I am assuming he wasn't serving in 1939. If he was serving in 1939 often a pre-war absent voters list may be useful, assuming he was of voting age. If you find his number I can probably give you an idea of when he joined up, roughly

Regards

Mark

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 December 16 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat redduck.  :)

You will not find his service number online.

You do not need a service number or National Insurance number to apply for WW2 service records. His name and date of birth is sufficient (and perhaps place of birth).

Links to the appropriate forms and details of information required to apply:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records
You will need his death certificate if he is deceased, as well as £30. :) If his wife is still living she can apply and there is no cost involved.

Another way to obtain a service number is by contacting Imjin Barracks and enquring about his medal entitlement. Their reply usually contains the person's service number:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-medal
However this is not necessary in order to obtain service records.

Good luck.

Offline Mark G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 December 16 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ruskie

I have already said that Airman's numbers can be found on the TNA website. So your contradiction is incorrect.

If the persons name is revealed it may be possible for me to give the service number if the person knows the father's date of birth. As to applying for records it is always best to provide as much info as possible. A common name can lead to all sorts of difficulties with applications. Whilst medals were issued for home service for WW2 as well as overseas service, it does not follow that because someone served that they met the qualification criteria for a medal. So applying to a medal office without more qualifying data is fraught with difficulty. Potentially one can find the service number online.

Regards

Mark

Offline Mark G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 December 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Redduck

Please state his full name
Place of Birth
Where he lived say 1939-45
and his date of birth

I will see if I can help

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Mark, the TNA website is a tricky one. Not for the faint hearted.  ;D I have managed to try a test search of a common name and, looking at the images, what is shown are photos of hundreds of typed sheets of paper indexed alphabetically by surname and forename. Information on each record is minimal and varies, but all have a name and service number, only some have dobs etc. and if there are several men with the same name there is no obvious way to see which is the serviceman you are looking for .... or, have I missed something? :-\ 

If the OP is simply looking for service records, which it seems they are, then it is not necessary to supply the service number on the application. It is easier to request that the MOD search for the name and cross check with dob, pob and any other information that the OP can supply.

It might be useful if you could provide links to online service numbers for those who served in WW2 if you are aware of such lists, as this is a question which is often asked here on rootschat, and I'm sure it would be something of great interest which would be "stickied" for others to use.

My suggestion of contacting Imjin was just that - a suggestion, and another possible way to obtain a service number, whilst also checking medal entitlement (if any), and checking to see if, when and where any medals were sent. Some men did not claim their medals and descendants may wish to do so. It can all add to the big picture.

Offline Mark G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 December 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie. Lets see if Redduck responds and I will see what I can do.

Regards

Mark

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 December 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I would just like to say a big thank you to Mark G for finding both my parents service numbers which I have been searching for years and he did it in minutes. Now I am going to apply for their records with his help. So if there is anyone else out there looking, Mark's your man. What a wonderful start to the New Year.  :)

Ellen