Author Topic: Lookup Request Marriage Broadwater CHRIST Phillip  (Read 579 times)

Offline Gruffallo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup Request Marriage Broadwater CHRIST Phillip
« on: Monday 02 January 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find the volume and page for a marriage as I can't see it on Ancestry but have found it on
Familyseach. I want to order the certificate and would feel better knowing it's entry in the BMD registers as I don't understand the source for the LDS data. Any help and advice would be greatfully received.

Many thanks in advance.
Susan

Name:        Phillip John Fred Christ
Event Type:   Marriage
Event Date:   21 Feb 1892
Event Place:   Broadwater, Sussex, England

Spouse's Name:   Mary Elizabeth Rogers

GS Film Number:   002147041
Digital Folder Number:   004428829
Image Number:   00291

Citing this Record:
"England, Sussex, Parish Registers, 1538-1910", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QW-QVKJ : 12 August 2016), Phillip John Fred Christ and Mary Elizabeth Rogers, 1892.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request Marriage Broadwater CHRIST Phillip
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 17 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

when you find marriage records on the LDS family search site and there isn't a corresponding entry in the GRO marriage index, it can and often does infer that the record you are looking at is for the calling of the Banns but the wedding didn't then take place. Either that or the names are missed off the index or badly mistranscribed.

In this case the record is for the calling of the banns and you can see the image yourself by following the film number through to the LDS catalogue.

You'll need to register for a free account but then follow the link from here to see the images, according to the entry you found it's image 291., Scroll down the page until you find the film number and see the camera icon for the correct film.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/451874?availability=Family%20History%20Library

The rest of the names on the pages have been crossed through and dates of the weddings added except for the entry you mention.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Gruffallo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 17 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dawn, I didn't realise you could view the image! I've always believed they didn't marry and that was the family gossip so was surprised to see this entry - so it adds up if it is a Banns and they didn't follow through. (He was German and I don't think he was naturalised/had papers etc, certainly didn't have family here and Mary was four months pregnant in Feb 1892 so this may have been why the didn't/couldn't!)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »
The number of images online is increasing as the LDS work through their collection of microfilms and upload more of them. A lot of their microfilms date from the 1950's and they are degenerating.

As to your dilemma, I didn't think the lack of his papers was a cause not not marrying as the banns were called three times. Looks like there was every intention to marry. Even if a church wedding was frowned upon by her family, they could have gone to the Register Office.

Could they have married overseas to cover up the dates in relation to the bump?

What information about a marrige does the 1911 census give?

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Gruffallo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 02:45 GMT (UK) »
By 1911 they were 'married' with 9 kids! In 1891 he was a 'lodger' in Stanwell Middlesex.  By 1892 their first birth was registered in Worthing in July. He arrived from Germany between 1881 and 1891. The family rumours are that they ran away to Sussex when she found out she was pregnant. I have combed through all years on the BMD under both names and variations and tried many other sources to no avail. So think I will still assume for now they didnt!! 😊

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Maybe in ingnorance, they were under the mis-apprehension that they were married as they had had the Banns called.

It is not unknown for late submissions of the parish registers to the superintendant registrars for their quarterly and yearly returns to be excluded from the GRO marriage index but if you have checked the parish register and other offline resources and they aren't there, then as you say, they weren't legally married.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Just to point out that the image of the banns linked to above has 'run out' written in the margin, suggesting that the time allowed between banns being called and the marriage taking place had expired. I believe this was 3 months.

Offline Gruffallo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 January 17 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Good spot Bookbox! And after 3 months, she would have been 8 months pregnant 🤔