Author Topic: Edward SAVAGE - Berwickshire Coastguard 1870  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward SAVAGE - Berwickshire Coastguard 1870
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your help. I had found the coastguard station as an address on the 1861 census as well so I'm pleased to see you have found that as well - I must be doing something right.

I'm still new to this so I have a few questions if you can all continue to help me?

Boo, thank you so much for using your credits on the Scottish birth record for me but where did you look to find that?

Rosie, how did you find the newspaper report for the Alnwick Mercury? I have a monthly subscription for find my past but can't find that newspaper in the archive at all.

William, thank you for the death notice, was that done on the find my past site? I had looked but couldn't find anything.

It does seem as if Harriet's maiden name is going to stay a mystery for now. I believe between Henry and Edward she had 9 children so maybe one of them will throw a maiden name up some how.

Thanks again.

Michael

Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »

Boo, thank you so much for using your credits on the Scottish birth record for me but where did you look to find that?

The site I looked at is ScotlandsPeople  https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Though its a pay as you go site, I have found it to be good value for money. It has the images for Scotland census returns, old parish registers and civil registration entries (birth marriage and death entries) for post 1855 events - though England & Wales started civil registration in 1837, Scotland didn't start till 1855.

My 'shed load' of credits was a gift and I am more than happy to share it now and then :-)

Boo

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael

You should be able to find the death notice in the British Newspaper Archive, which is also on  FindMyPast. I restricted the search to papers in the counties of Northumberland and Tyne and Wear (the Newcastle papers are grouped inTyne and Wear, the Alnwick Mercury article which Rosie referred to being in Northumberland).

I have to say that Harriet's maiden name, from the evidence provided here, would indeed appear to have been Savage. The Scottish birth certificate located by Boo and the marriage found by Rosie would seem to confirm this. You could use the new gro indexes , which give mother's maiden names, for their children born in England as further confirmation.

It may, of course, be coincidence that both Edward and Harriet had the same surname but it is worth considering that they were already cousins in doing your research.

Hope this helps

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 08:24 GMT (UK) »
It does seem as if Harriet's maiden name is going to stay a mystery for now. I believe between Henry and Edward she had 9 children so maybe one of them will throw a maiden name up some how.

As William says her maiden name does appear to be Savage.  Her father is listed as George Savage on the 1862 marriage found previously.  If you look on the Free BMD index for the 1862 Belford marriage you will see a little envelope next to it - click on that and someone has kindly given extra details of the marriage.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »
George Edward Savage born 1852 Berwick has mothers maiden name Savage as further confirmation. 
As does Mary Jane born 1854 Berwick and James born 1858 Berwick  :)
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I believe between Henry and Edward she had 9 children so maybe one of them will throw a maiden name up some how.

Harriet is widowed by 1911 but has had 10 children (7 of which were still living at that time) so you may have another one to find!
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for the help and advice everyone, I have now found the newspaper articles, when you read them it makes it sound as if the man has been to Edwards funeral, fallen down a cliff drunk, fallen asleep on the beach and the tide has come in and drowned him! What a way to go.

I'm now wondering if there is any other way - short of ordering death certificates - of finding out how Edward died (ie natural causes or some sort of incident), would there be anything held locally?

I'm also intrigued by the idea of Harriet and Edward possibly being cousins, was that a common occurrence?

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I would have thought that if Edwards death had been unusual it would also have been reported in the paper.  The death certificate would give the cause of death.

The newspaper report infers that the other man had fallen on the sands, no mention of cliffs  ;)

Marriage between cousins was not unusual.  My OH's grandparents were 1st cousins  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
It's a bit difficult to go back and find them before they married but Harriet said her father was George a grocer and not found one of those on census.

Edward's father should be named on his marriage to Harriet.  There was an Edward with a father Phillip and one with a father George but hard to say for sure if either are the right Edward.

Will keep looking.
Pick - Frocester Glos