Author Topic: Friends and colleagues of relatives.  (Read 1706 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Friends and colleagues of relatives.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 January 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
My dads much young half brother, uncle Douglas, from Yorkshire married a mill lass from Eshwinning near Durham, working in Yorkshire and lodging at my granny's house, after they got married the lived in a 2 up 2 down mill workers cottage and used to buy stuff on the never never. One evening my Aunty Emily (Wife of dads other brother) heard a knock at the door, it was Uncle Doug wanting to tap her for money but he got none, he had lost his job weeks earlier but had found another mill working nights near aunty Emily's house, anyway she gave him some food to take home after work for his wife and baby also packed sandwiches for his shift. Next we heard they had done a moonlight flit to Durham leaving their debts behind. As a kid I remember my dad bought one of them wind up gramophones with horn with a few 78 records from Doug as they had bought a modern one on H P before they moved North. After they moved, we had little to do with them except rare visits, Xmas cards etc,  Doug died about 4 years ago, I went to his funeral at Durham Crematorium, someone on the podium  talked about his love of music, he played the drums also other instruments, later  I heard from his late wife's various different relatives talking while I was middling, heard repeated conversations - saying - "I never knew Uncle Doug was interested in music " also my dad didn't know either or I, but answered the question of that fog horn blower I used to look at aged 4 years old wondering who was shouting out of it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 January 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
If you went to a village where a grandparent or great grandparent was born and their family had lived there for a long time, you may get a few village elders who said "Oh yes I went to school with your grandfather/grandmother" or cousins of theirs, or the landlord of the pub tells a tale about a grandparent or great grandparent that their dad heard of.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 January 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Nothing like a bit of earwigging

Years ago I was in the bookies putting on my 50p treble on over the sticks races, earwigging I heard there was a 100 to 1 odds horse running in an over the sticks 6 horse race, that was a flat race horse sprinter and this chap said if it can jump the sticks it will romp home with its class sprinting. What the heck I put a fiver on it and won £505 less betting tax at the time.  :D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 January 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
When I worked on a heritage railway, I found out that one of the contractors on site had worked with my great uncle. At one of the event days, I found an exhibitor who knew my grandads cousin. Also answered phone there one day and found that the lady on the other end had same surname as me. When I eventually started doing the family tree, it turns out that her husband was related from my 3gt grandads second marriage. I relate from his first.