Author Topic: Look up request please. Miles family, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex  (Read 713 times)

Offline spurveur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request please. Miles family, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex
« on: Sunday 15 January 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. I wonder if anyone could help me find details of the marriage of William Miles and Barbara Burton in 1793 at Hurstpierpoint, please. And also of the birth of the aforementioned William at the same place.
I have William's father as Matthew Miles but I have seen other mentions saying that his father is called John Miles. Would someone be able to positively clarify for me please.
Thank you so much in advance.
Sue

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request please. Miles family, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The marriage was 21st Sep 1793 but unfortunately the Sussex Marriage Index does not have further details.  You will need to look at the original entry to see if it has anything further.
I can see their children John Burton 1794, James 1796, Esau 1802 and Barbara 1800 but I can't see a baptism for William though a Matthew and Sarah Miles are baptising children at that time.
What is the approximate date for William's birth?

Offline spurveur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 January 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sillgen
Thank you so much for coming back to me with some possible answers.
The William Miles I'm looking for has a birthdate of 22nd Jan 1766 in Hurstpierpoint according to another researcher, but I haven't been able to find him myself and I do like to double check on everything.
Any help on this William and his forebears - three John Miles' would be fantastic.
Thanks again

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 08:35 GMT (UK) »
John Miles married Mary Geare in Hurstpierpoint 4th May 1762.   There is a couple with those names baptising children in Woodmancote which is not far away.
I still can't see a baptism around 1766.  Have you tried contacting the other researcher and asking where they got the date from?  Trees on Ancestry give the year as 1764.
Esau is an unusual name so it may be worth trying to follow that.

Offline spurveur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, Sillgen. Very much appreciated. I'll try and ask the other researcher to see if they can elucidate.

Offline alivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 January 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there is a baptism record in the SFHG Sussex Baptismal Index for a William Myles, baptised 22 Jan 1764 at Holy Trinity, Hurstpierpoint to parents Matthew & Sarah Myles.

There are also baptisms with parents Matthew & Sarah Miles at Hurstpierpoint as follows:

Matthew, bp. 4 Oct 1767
John, bp. 22 Nov 1769
Sarah, bp. 16 Oct 1778
Jane, bp. 4 Sep 1780

There doesn't appear to a baptism recorded around this time for a William Miles/Myles with father John. As Sillgen mentioned, a John & Mary Miles have children baptised at Woodmancote around this same time, but no William.