Author Topic: Death notifications British Army 1870 India  (Read 485 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Death notifications British Army 1870 India
« on: Wednesday 18 January 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I suppose this is a dumb question - not likely that anyone would know the answer.
I have records of an ancestor who at the age of only 22 years, died in "Kurrachee" India, in 1870, her 3 month old baby having died two days previously.  She was the wife of a Sergeant in the 21st Regiment.  She and the baby  were buried in Kurrachee. 

My question is - does anyone have any ideas at all as to whether her family in Scotland would be advised of her death?  Would it be a regimental responsibility, or would it be left to the husband to advise her family?  It appears that her husband continued on in India and was eventually discharged from army in1876 from Rangoon - eventually finding his way to Canada, and possibly not having any further contact with her family.

Any comments anyone?

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death notifications British Army 1870 India
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 09:13 GMT (UK) »
It would be the husband's responsibility. I doubt that the regiment would have details of her next of kin. Even if he had died I doubt the regiment would contact his family. Attestation Papers of the period did not have a space for next of kin until a few years later.

If a family had not heard from a son for a while they could always contact the UK Depot and learn of his death. If he was owned money the regiment would try and contact his NoK. If they did not have details of his family, details of money left by the soldier was published in the London Gazette.

It would be worth checking the regimental musters. In this period they would contain the Married Roll. This recorded wife's name - he may have remarried. But it also recorded the number of children he had, as he may have had other children.

Musters are in the National Archives. They are not online.

Ken

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Death notifications British Army 1870 India
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for your information, which in some ways doesn't surprise me, though it does sadden me. 

I must say I was surprised to think that even if the soldier himself had died, his own family might not have been notified. (Mind, you I understand we are talking of India in 1870!!) I do actually have some very basic info on some of the soldiers siblings, but had never thought of following them up - might be worthwhile, when I run out of more direct lineage research.

I would love to be able to check the regimental musters, in fact I have 3 soldiers involved with this same family of the same era who would be on the rolls.  As you say attestation papers can be very interesting, but don't have a lot to do with "family".  Unfortunately, I live in Australia, and there is no chance that I will ever be able to gain access to the Muster rolls. It appears that this particular soldier as I said was discharged from the army 1876, Rangoon, saying he would go back to Glasgow Scotland -  I fail absolutely to track him again in Scotland, but find him in a marriage in 1891 in Canada - definitely him, but "dead end" even there...

I feel sad that my ancestor died so young, buried with her baby in a land so far away, - maybe her family not even knowing what had happened - and it hits close to home, cos she is my namesake - my great aunt - born just 100 years before me. Oh, to be a time traveller and know what really happened!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.