Author Topic: Sgt. Joseph Theophile Jean Jacques MINGUY, Gros Pin, Que.  (Read 883 times)

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sgt. Joseph Theophile Jean Jacques MINGUY, Gros Pin, Que.
« on: Thursday 19 January 17 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

As usual, I have another mystery on my hands and hope someone can work their rootschat magic for me.

The above mentioned chap was the rear gunner on a Lancaster bomber on the Peenemunde raid in August of 1943. Their aircraft was hit and plummeted from 12000 ft down to about 6000ft with two engines on fire. The pilot gave the order to "prepare to jump". This meant "strap your parachutes on and get ready to jump when I give the signal". The pilot, navigator and flight engineer were successful in extinguishing the flames but shocked to learn that Minguy, the mid upper gunner, wireless operator and bomb aimer had already jumped. They were to spend the rest of the war in German stalags. The three remaining airmen flew the bomber home being awarded two immediate Distinguished Flying Crosses and a Distinguished Flying Medal.

According to Drouin, Minguy was born in 1919 yet I have other documents filled out by him post-war stating he was born in 1923. I am trying to determine where and when he passed away and I know he was still alive in the late 70s/early 80s as he is quoted in Martin Middlebrook's book on the Peenemunde raid.

So, in 1953 Minguy's home address was 1915 rue d'Assise, Apt 5, Quebec, PQ. In January of 1959 his address was 213 11ieme rue, Quebec 3, PQ. And from there the trail goes cold.

Grateful for any help.

DTD

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt. Joseph Theophile Jean Jacques MINGUY, Gros Pin, Que.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 January 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Drouin has his birth 16 Jul 1923, father Jean Baptiste Minguy, mother Cecile Marier.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »

Do you have a Ancestry membership for Canada. You could try checking the Voters list 1935-1980.

By the way where is the last known address that you have for him. What city/town in Quebec?

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
The voters' lists have him at the first address in 1958,noted as a civil servant for the federal government. Using the name Jean-Jacques.

Believe this is his obit from 2000 in French:

http://federationgenealogie.qc.ca/base-de-donnees/avis-de-deces/fiche.php?id=622636

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 17 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Great find Eileen, obit says he was an administrator of several Quebec hospitals, no mention of jumping out of a bomber over Germany when he had barely turned 20, but no doubt this is him.  Date of death 10 Mar 2000.

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt. Joseph Theophile Jean Jacques MINGUY, Gros Pin, Que. (COMPLETED)
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow!

Many thanks to all. That is indeed him.

DTD