Author Topic: JARVEY William Andrew - Scotland/Tasmania?/Australia  (Read 5448 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JARVEY William Andrew - Scotland/Tasmania?/Australia
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 09 February 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
An article about the case also states three children buried with the mother

http://www.dunedinfamilyhistory.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DFHG-October-2015-newsletter.pdf

Offline Redman1946

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 10 February 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

This was the first article I read but since reading newspaper reports, advertisements, shipping notices and court documents, I believe it contains a few inaccuracies.

Charlotte died on 29 July and her funeral was on 1 August.

One shipping report shows Captain and Mrs Jarvey and 7 children arriving in Tasmania aboard the Brig Jane, not 5 as mentioned in this article. And the farm on the Huon was still owned by William at the time of his wife's death and advertised for sale in December of that year.

It is quite possible that Sophia did go to New Zealand with the family and that 8 children were on the Jane.

I think that the information regarding the death of 3 children on 10 August 1864 was probably taken from the cemetery records. The Southern Heritage Trust has said it will try and find someone who can answer the question of whether there were two or three children buried and if the third was Charlotte Jane or Sophia.

:)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 April 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,  Minnie on our NZ board has a 2021 thread asking about the Jarvey children.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847744.0

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk