Author Topic: Lunatic asylums and workhouse  (Read 1088 times)

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lunatic asylums and workhouse
« on: Thursday 26 January 17 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I'm wondering if anyone can help find out more on why Domenico Poggio is taken into the London workhouse in March 1912 and he subsequently dies in there and Fortunato Savini is admitted to Banstead Lunacy asylum in June 1895 and dies in August 1895.  Were these places used as hospitals?
Many thanks for any help
Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lunatic asylums and workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 17 13:55 GMT (UK) »
As both people died over 100 years ago you should be able to gain access to their records if they still exist. It is a matter of finding where they have been deposited.
Here is a link to information about Banstead:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=43

And a previous thread (note it is an old thread and records may be elsewhere or online by now):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=220480.0

I am not sure what the "London" workhouse was, but you may find something useful here:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/CityOfLondon/

Added: Do you know Domenico's year of birth and occupation? Do you have his death certificate?

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 17 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie
Hi Domenico's birth is ABOUT 1875, HE IS 31 ON HIS MARRIAGE CERT IN oCTOBER 1906. His date of death was 28th March 1912 and he was a domestic artist.  I don't have his death cert as I've just stumbled on this info.  He was in the Horton Institution in Buckinghamshire. The info is from the Lunacy patients admission.
Suziq
Timmins-Durham,York,Middx,Sussex Pearson-Durham, Blenkinsop-York, Hind,Lumley,Gordon,Stoker,Farrant-Sussex,Comber-Sussex

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
The Horton Asylum was in Epsom (Surrey), not at Horton in Buckinghamshire.
http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/horton.html

Offline suziq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 January 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Oh sorry on Ancestry on the Lunacy admission list it says Buckinghamshire.
Suziq

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if you'd seen Domineco's admission on Ancestry ... I thought it was for the workhouse though .... :-\

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
According to the workhouse registers, he was admitted to the St Pancras workhouse on 20 March 1912 and discharged to the Horton Asylum on 27 March 1912.

The Horton Asylum is in Epsom, Surrey, not in Buckinghamshire. Ancestry's transcribers seem to have got it wrong.

ADDED - I've now found a related thread  ::)
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751723.msg6000835

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:39 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather spent the final twenty two years of his life in Banstead which in those less enlightened days was called a lunatic asylum but later became known as a mental hospital.  Essentially, the treatment of mental illness was far less well developed than it is today and illnesses like depression and mild personality disorders were often  "treated" by simply shutting the poor sufferers away.  Clearly, some inmates did have more serious types of illness but having seen my grandfather's records, it is equally obvious that many would nowadays be treated in the community.  So yes, the lunatic asylums were hospitals in the modern sense.

Asylums (the name on its own) and workhouse infirmaries were both sorts of hospitals, this is worth reading http://www.workhouses.org.uk/life/medical.shtml and also http://www.workhouses.org.uk/MAB/

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
According to the lunacy admission registers, Domenico Poggio was in the Horton Asylum overnight only and died there the next day.

The St Pancras poor law union records should include an Examination and a Reception Order for him.

The Horton Asylum registers should include at least an admission/discharge record for him.

Records of both institutions are at London Metropolitan Archives, but they are not online for 1912.