Author Topic: Unusual surname  (Read 1944 times)

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Unusual surname
« on: Tuesday 31 January 17 01:06 GMT (UK) »
My friend is searching for the parents of Euphemia Greenhousy, born 1795-1800, possibly in London. She's looked everywhere, and despite the name being quite unusual, can find no trace of the parents. She married Ernest Henry Miller, and one son William Charles, came out to Australia.
I do hope someone can help,
Thank you.
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual surname
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »
When & where did Euphemia marry Ernest Henry Miller?

What were all the names of their children in order with yrs of birth/where born?

Has your friend found the family on any census' in England?

1851 onwards should give her place of birth or at least a county.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 04:28 GMT (UK) »
I have viewed a number of trees on Ancestry for this family some of which seem totally up the pole I'm afraid to say - a lot have her husband Ernest Henry Miller bc.1795 , dying 1828 in Westminster and then remarrying in 1847!

As far as I can see, Ernest Henry and Euphemia had the following children baptised in Stepney:

Ernest Henry bp.28/4/1816
William Charles 27/12/1818
also Uphemia      ditto
Elizabeth Charlotte bp.11/11/1821
Thomas Ludwig bp.25/9/1825, bur.13/1/1828

Ernest Henry senior shown to be a Sugar Baker.

I believe it was the son EH who married in 1847 (shown to be a widower) and his occupation is Ship Rigger - he made his mark but certificate says he is Ernest Henry Miller or Muller.   

I suspect that with the youngest child above having a second name of Ludwig that the family name was originally Muller.   However, Uphemia Miller bc.1782 was buried 10/8/1834 St. Dunstan, Stepney and one would expect her husband to have been of a similar age and not with a 1795 birthdate.   I don't know where the death of 1828 Westminster that is on many of the trees has come from - I believe the following is actually the death of Ernest Henry:

Ernest Henry Muller bc.1784 bur.6/1/1850 St. Dunstan, Stepney.

So, both were indeed of a similar age and from at least 1816 until their deaths they remained in Stepney.   However, I can't for the life of me find Ernest Henry in 1841 when he should appear on the census.   I hoped this would show if he was actually born in this country or not.

None of the trees I looked at had a marriage for Ernest Henry Miller/Muller and a Euphemia so I'm assuming one has never been found.

I suspect that Ernest Henry Muller was probably from Germany/Prussia where his name likely to have been Ernst Henrich Muller (or Moeller) and that he endeavoured to Anglicize it when he arrived in England.  Since no marriage for Euphemia and him seems to have been found has the surname 'Greenhousy' come from a death certificate in Australia?   If so, I'm wondering whether this is some 'corruption' of a Prussian surname and that Euphemia and Ernest actually married before they came to England.   Certainly, this surname does not seem to be a recognised surname in the UK and feel it's been anglicised somehow from a foreign surname and, indeed, the only instances of the surname on Ancestry relate to the Australian trees of William Charles Miller.

Besides Ernst Henrich Muller's, there are many Euphemia's in Prussia too though confess I couldn't see any with a surname that could be anything like 'Greenhousy'.   There are various surnames that begin with 'Grun' which could be a possibility (one being Grunsky).   

Something to consider anyway - certainly, Euphemia was born earlier than all the trees intimate - her burial clearly shows she was bc.1782 and husband Ernest bc.1784 and I feel sure they were married when they came to England.

I just did a search on the 1851 census with the occupation of 'Sugar Baker' and most of the 'foreign' surnames showed that they came from Germany/Prussia.  Think you'll find that both Ernest and Euphemia hailed from there too.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 05:49 GMT (UK) »
According to familysearch.org there’s a Ufemia Greenhouse christened 22 September 1782 at Claines, Worcester, England with mother, Mary (no father’s name given).
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
 There is the following...
Poor law and Parish administration records
Euphane Greenhouse aged 14 admitted to , Westminster St James, Piccadily on 31October 1795
Discharged 6 June 1796 In service to Ann Linnell, Bell Street, Paddington.
Also a burial 31 May 1796 in St Margaret Westminster for a Mary Greenhouse.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
In my research I've picked up three of Ernest Henry's children ...

MILLER Ernest Henry - (bpts of 2 sons & daughter)   (King St, New Gravel Lane, Brook St)   London   1816-25   St Geo in the East Parish Registers
(from www.mawer.clara.net/sugarmmey.html )
<i>EDIT: Just found the other two and added them to the database.</i>

... but unfortunately nothing more about him under any of the variant spellings of the surname. Agree regarding possibility he may have been Muller, maybe Ernst Muller. My own family research shows the lack of ship's lists prior to 1800.

Regarding Greenhousy ... there might be a connection to Greenhough/Greenhow. In 1770s London there was a James and a John Greenhough/Greenhow refining sugar in Church Lane Whitechapel. James appears to have emigrated to America, but no doubt left other family in London.

GREENHOUGH   Mr -   (fire)   Church Lane, Whitechapel   London 1773   Stamford Mercury
GREENOUGH James   of London   (age 30) (sailed from Liverpool)   - to Virginia 1774 Emigrants from England to the Amarican Colonies 1773-1776
GREENHOW James -- 2 Worcester Pl, Thames St & Church Lane, Whitechapel London   1769-72   Kent's Directories
GREENHOW James - (exec to will of John Greenhow innholder) Church Lane Whitechapel 1773 London   TNA PROB11/991
GREENHOW John - (sugarhouse & dwelling house) Church Lane Whitechapel London   1771-73   Land Tax Records
GREENHOW J - - Up Thames St - Worcester Pl   London 1771 Sun
(from www.mawer.clara.net/sugarggoy.html )

Was Euphemia the daughter of a Greenhough/Greenhow refiner ?
Did she meet Ernst Muller / Ernest H Miller through that trade ?
Longshot, but possible.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Uphemia was bpt, along with her brother William Charles, 27 Dec 1818, however Uphemia's birth is given as 7 Dec 1811.
This pushes back the search date for the marriage of her parents, as well as taking them up to St Pancras ... abode given as Chapel Path, Somer's Town, St Pancras.

<i>Added...</i>
This would appear to show that Euphemia, the daughter, died in Australia.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M43V-J73
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I once had the same problem with a name written longhand as "Berkholy".
It turned out that the "y" was in fact a "z", and would have been printed as "Berkholz", clearly of German origin.
You probably have the same situation here.
Regards,
JMB
Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 01:09 GMT (UK) »
I have viewed a number of trees on Ancestry for this family some of which seem totally up the pole I'm afraid to say - a lot have her husband Ernest Henry Miller bc.1795 , dying 1828 in Westminster and then remarrying in 1847!

Annette

:o So it's true.....there is life after death  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"