Author Topic: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.  (Read 6552 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 February 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
When looking at the LDS records you need to be careful. Sometimes the place of birth will be listed as 'Ireland', 'County Antrim', the registration district, sub-registration or townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pvmcguire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Sincere thanks to Sinann and Aghadowey for providing the breakthrough that I needed.  The marriage cert show that my Great-grandmother was indeed Taggart, but from Ballyoglagh, not Loughguile as my Mother had always believed.
The whole name change scenario became more interesting when I received this info, and delved deeper.  My Great-grandfather, known as William McFadden, was married as William McCaldridge, but his birth reg found just tonight shows him as William Alexander born 15/11/74 to William Alexander and spouse Mary Ann McFadden at Knockannbery (Knockanavery?). He had three surnames in a lifetime, finally adopting his Mother's maiden name!  I feel we have skeletons in our closet.
Thanks for research into his children's registrations, and I confirm that George whilst noted as a different age on 1911 census appears to have been born in 1901 - unfortunately I have not yet found any of his family.
I sadly conclude that my Grandmother Minnie and her older sister Jane/Jeannie were not registered at birth - Grandma was born in 1896, her parents marriage in December of that year render her illegitimate as was Jane.  I think they were never registered and I have a copy of Bushvale register of their joint adult baptism.  However sites provided last night on RootsChat have allowed me to have a copy of my Grandparents marriage cert Bushvale 15 Nov 1918 Minnie McFadden to John Gordon.

My wife is also a granddaughter of Minnie and John - are you able to post a link to both their Baptism and the Marriage Certificate. You have enabled us to go back one generation further than we had previously. Many thanks

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 February 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Have taken advice about LDS site on board and have had interesting results.  By seeking William McCaldridge I have found that he can be located on LDS under a birth and baptism record for Jane McCaldrige (no 2nd d) 12 March 1869 with mother/his spouse Nancy Jane McFadden. Location Croagh, Ant, Ireland.  Input of Croagh, Ant, Ireland reveals Nancy Jane having a child Elizabeth born/baptised 9 Aug 1865 without a husband, and having a third, Sarah Jane baptised with father/her spouse William Denham on 3 Jan 1872.  Denham is not in NI census returns 1901 or 1911.

My ancestor William McCaldrige married a Mary Ann McFadden in 1874 when his surname was Alexander.  Could the brides be related?  I believe that sisters could not marry the same man until late 20th century, but with two surnames he would have gone undetected.  Perhaps Nancy Jane and he were not formally married.  I think it is her marriage that is listed in LDS in 1871.

Sadly these records are not available from images on the irishgenealogy.ie site in scanned form yet, and in order to obtain them I have to pay by credit card with all card details in post - risky.  Any advice on accessing them locally or paying other way?

Would anyone recognise LDS format Croagh, Ant, Ireland as being of a particular denomination?
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 February 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Another misleading thing about Irish LDS records is the database called "Irish births and baptisms" as many are from the civil birth registrations and nothing to do with church records.

If this is the record for Jane McCaldrige that you found then it is an extract from the civil record- Croagh is the sub-district so no connection to any religion-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPY2-YXP

The record for Elizabeth is also a birth extract-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR9K-KJ1
as is the entry for Sarah Denham-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPB7-YVZ

You can view the certificates on GRONI's website after registering and purchasing a few credits-
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 February 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Actually, Sarah's birth is online- townland is Drumtullagh and the record indicates that the parents were married and father registered the birth-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03264/2196278.pdf

Jane's birth also online- her parents were not married and father living Carnkirk and mother ? -
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03399/2246379.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline rowan33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 February 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
HI   i am trying to do my family tree.  Any help would be much appreciated as I am new to this.  I would be William Mc Caldriges great grand daughter.

Offline pvmcguire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 February 17 21:49 GMT (UK) »
HI   i am trying to do my family tree.  Any help would be much appreciated as I am new to this.  I would be William Mc Caldriges great grand daughter.
Welcome to the world of genealogy. You can have a lot of fun, meet great people (like the ones I've found on this site), find long lost relatives AND waste a lot of time.

If you are just starting out, I recommend in this digital age, that you use family tree software. My choice is to use Family Tree Builder from https://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder - the great advantage is that its free. This will enable you to explore the world.

Another piece of advice is not to rush in and join a commercial site like Ancestry, until you have explored the "free" information out there.

Now, which William McAldrige are we talking about as your ggf? The one born in 1874? or the one married in 1874?

If it's William McFadden (born Alexander), that puts you in the same generation as my wife and Sandel1 on this site
Cheers

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 February 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Rowan33

Like pvmcguire I wonder which of the William's is your ancestor.  I am daughter of Molly, whose Mother Mary Ann (Minnie) was the daughter of William McFadden (his assumed name) born Alexander and married as William McCaldridge in Bushvale near Stranocum Ballymoney.  He may be the son of  William McCaldridge who fathered Jane McFadden between Bushmills and Dervock in 1869 as his father was William Alexander married 1874.  Any help in unravelling this appreciated. 

Like my friend above I recommend free sites and a pen and notebook to start.  The 1901 census and 1911 census Ireland are invaluable, just check all spellings and mis-spellings!  I also use the LDS Family Search as it is free, and irishgeneaology.ie civil records mostly as they enhance what is on Family Search particularly when you can get scanned images. 

If you are outside the area, an old Ordnance Survey map is helpful too!  I joined MyHeritage where you can build a limited free tree, and Ancestry.co.uk but have suspended membership as I ran out of leads.  Intend to rejoin with more info.  Have fun!
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald