Author Topic: Length of service  (Read 2340 times)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Length of service
« on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I have a man who enlisted in the British Army c1911. Would there have been a specific length of service that he would have signed up for? I've searched for his service record but it looks like it's not survived and I'm trying to establish what year he would have been discharged and returned home. Thanks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Length of service
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Was he still serving in 1920  :-\   If he was then his records would still be with the MOD.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't know. He's on the absent voters list in Birmingham in 1919 and on the regular voters list in 1920 but I don't know if the information for that was gathered a certain time period beforehand. His wife bigamously married whilst he was away so I'm trying to find out when he returned home.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Those absent voter lists were probably only operative for the period of the war.  Does the 1920 list have any initials against it that would indicate he could be Absent.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
No just an 'R' denoting Residence qualification.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
This Longlongtrail link explains in detail http://www.1914-1918.net/recruitment.htm

The most likely scenario for a 1911 man is a 12 year engagement, 7 with the colours, 5 in reserve.  He would then be 3 or so years into his engagement when the war interrupted. His engagement would be pretty much finished when the war ended and, I believe this is the case, his 5 years reserve would still hold.  So he would return to civilian life at the end of the war which could have been into 1919 although pre war regulars were given some priority for release,

If you'd like to post his name and any other military detail you have, a second (or more) pair of eyes may find a clue.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Excellent thankyou very much. I've just sent off for his wife's marriage cert to husband number 2 and I'm hoping it's going to come this week.

His name was John Robert Smith and this is what I've got so far that someone else found for me -

First Name: J
Surname: Smith
Notes in Admission Number Column: HA
Index Number of Admission: 4129
Service Number: 435616
Years Service: 7 years (Enlisted 1911)
Ailment: Inflammation of Connective Tissue Right Knee
Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 03/09/1918
Date Discharged Back to Duty: 05/09/1918
Date of Transfer From Sick Convoy: From 103rd Field Hospital Convoy USA
Date of Transfer From Other Hospitals: 03/09/1918
Notes written in the Observations Column: 2ndCanadian Casualty Clearing Station ?
Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

And this is what it says on the absent voters list for 1919 -

Army service number 435616 Pte B Div 2/2E Lancs, FA , RAMC

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 February 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
As perhaps you've suspected, his detailed service record has not survived as far as I can tell. His unit as written in the 1919 Absent Voters list would be 2/2 East Lancs Field Ambulance (a unit not a truck!), one of the RAMC units of the 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.  We don't know when he joined them but the outline history of the division is here http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/66th-2nd-east-lancashire-division/ and the war diary of the Field Ambulance is here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355522  This should tell you (although it is unlikely to mention his name) where the Field Ambulance was in Sep 1918.
2 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station at which he was treated was at the time at Outreau south of Boulogne.  The 103rd Field Hospital Convoy was one of the elements of the casualty chain in the area provded by the USArmy.
His medal card is at the National Archives at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6461978.  It should be on Ancestry but seems to have slipped through the net.

As surmised earlier, his 7 years with the colours would have coincided nicely with war's end and he would then, perhaps in 1919, be on his reserve commitment.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Further

On 3 to 5 Sept 1918, the Field Ambulance were at Malassise in the vicinity of Hazebrouck east of St Omer.  The 17th America Division  was also being supported by this FA, hence the hospital convoy.

maxD.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk