Author Topic: William Michael Connelly  (Read 3788 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Michael Connelly
« Reply #63 on: Friday 03 March 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure why that 1891 listing shows all the sons in the household then...but it certainly really helps in confirming the whole family and the names of their wives ;)

We have all the relevant census info now except 1861?

Mercel, not sure how easy it is for you to check up further on burial registers at the cemetery where Gregory, father, was buried? There may (or maybe not) be some further info that might help.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 03 March 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Bishopwearmouth is the main cemetery for the area of Millfield where most of the family seemed to have lived at some point. At the time of his death William Michael was living in Wilson Street about half a mile from cemetery. I will look into this and my next visit to Sunderland in April I will go and find his grave. I wonder as the family moved to South Tyneside at different times whether Gregory or Bridget had brothers and sisters living there. There seem to be quite a few Connellys in the area. That will be my next job.
Once again ladies you have been absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much.
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 03 March 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I have bought the image from Scotland's people for the birth of Michael Connelly. Father is shown as Robert Connolly, a labourer and a Bachelor. Bridget is shown as maiden name Connolly. I think Bridget has been a bit naughty had an affair with Robert, Michael being the result. Gregory has as it seems been very forgiving and took the family to the north east and bring Michael up as his own. I can't make out the address as transcript is very difficult to read. That would be interesting to see if it is the same address as John. Was definitely Govan going by the IGI batch number.
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I have bought the image from Scotland's people for the birth of Michael Connelly. Father is shown as Robert Connolly, a labourer and a Bachelor. Bridget is shown as maiden name Connolly. I think Bridget has been a bit naughty had an affair with Robert, Michael being the result. Gregory has as it seems been very forgiving and took the family to the north east and bring Michael up as his own. I can't make out the address as transcript is very difficult to read. That would be interesting to see if it is the same address as John. Was definitely Govan going by the IGI batch number.

You can ask Scotlands People to try and help decipher the address , Mercel. I had to ask once about the cause of death and informant on a death cert which was very "scratchy" writing. SP managed somehow to enhance the image and I was able to read it .

I'm not sure about Robert  :-\ ::) I wonder if he's Gregory .
There were 4 Michael Connellys  (or variation of the spellings) born in Glasgow 1858/59,  including the child born to Robert and Bridget  .
One poor wee Michael dies registered at Partick age 0 1859. That means 3 Michaels appear on the 1861 Census.
There is one Michael aged 2 in Partick.
One Michael aged 1 in Hutchesontown.
And one Michael aged 3 in Clyde.

Surely one of these children must be the elusive Michael.

Looby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Sadly not, Looby!

Michael aged 2 in Partick - Parents Peter and Margaret. I think this is the one we talked about earlier on here that Mercel mentioned as a possible before confirmation of father's name from the marriage cert.

Michael aged 1 in Hutchesontown - Parents John and Ann.

Michael aged 3 in Clyde - parents Michael and Sarah.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Sadly not, Looby!

Monica

I should have known better  ::)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks yeah I have tried to decipher the father and it does look like Robert, this birth is in Govan same place as John was born. Can I post it here to show you. I do display the copyright notification.
Are you saying this is the baby that died?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
The deceased baby Michael Connelly is the child of Patrick and Ann (Cannon). Smallpox  :'(

There is no corresponding birth  for  Michael & Sarah Connelly in Lanarkshire 1857-1861  :-\   
 Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 03 March 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Roman Catholic marriage at Glasgow , St Alphonsus  on the 8/1/1855 between a Gregor Connelly and a Bridget Connelly . The original can be viewed on Scotlands People - I have no clue how much information the record will give.

I know you have a marriage for the couple in 1854 at a Parish Church but it is not unusual for Catholic couples to have their marriage recorded in both churches .

Looby :)