Author Topic: HELP - Missing Ancester!  (Read 987 times)

Offline kelseymartin19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP - Missing Ancester!
« on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Im looking for advice on how to trace an illusive family member, Charles Atkinson Martin. He was born in Cramlington in 1869/70 and married Mary Ellen Hammell and started a family. His father was Philip Henry Martin (1846-?) and his mother, Nicholasina Atkinson (1850-?). He was a boatswain and I've got him up until 1901 on the census on a vessel, the Constantine, in Durham and thats the last time I have him.

The family story goes that he jumped ship in Australia never to return and 3 of his sons went off in search of him only to go missing and be presumed dead themselves. I already know that the latter part is not true - some of his sons did die but they did not go in search.

I also struggle to find deaths for his mother and father. I have found newspaper aticles regarding them (they were *cough* colourful *cough* characters, to say the least).

If anyone could help with how I would go about tracking him down (or at least trying to!) I would be very grateful, thank you.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - Missing Ancester!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 March 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
It seems Nicholasina remarried in 1890
FreeBMD Marriage
Dec qtr 1890
Tynemouth
on same page
Nichoasina martin
Batholomew Joseph Cremen

Union Stairs N Shields
Mary L Armstrong wife M 23 Cramlington
Nicholisina Cremen mother M 41 Percy main Northumberland
RG12 4223 38

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 March 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD Death reg
Nicholasina Cremen
age 52
Sept qtr 1901
Morpeth
10b 326

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Kelsey - sometimes sailors who were unruly were "beached" - this was when the crew complained about seamen they couldn't get on with - and so the captain went as close to a deserted beach and then the sailor was rowed ashore and left on the beach to fend for himself ...many were never seen again ....so it is possible that Charles was "beached" and did not abandon his family - just another option for you to consider .
I live in Liverpool - a big shipping city and there are quite a few ex Merchant Seamen with the nickname "Beach" - because they were beached as "naughty boys "....
ADDED
according to the 1881 census Nicholasina was born 1849 Percy Main , Northumberland
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Australian cemeteries index has quite
a lot of Charles Martin records,perhaps one may be yours,

Have a play around on this site it has marriages and births as well as burials,
something may turn up here
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline kelseymartin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
wow, I had never heard of someone being 'beached' before - it sounds awful. Hopefully I can track him down somewhere and he had, for whatever reason, just run away to start afresh. Regarding his father,  Henry Martin b. 1846 in Cornwall - I have him right up until 1880 in Haswell when he was sentenced to 12 months hard labour for attempting to murder Nicholasina. I wonder since Nicholasina remarried in 1890 and since I can find no record of a divorce - did he die during his hard labour? I can find no record of him at all after 1880.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 March 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
HI,

If I'm looking at the right family (his mother Lucy and brothers) they live in Liskeard in 1861 and 1871. I wonder if this is Henry in 1881?

1881  RG11/4959  f.129  p.5  Elvet, Durham
"Her Majestys Prison" Old Elvet Durham

Henry MARTIN    Prisoner    Mar    32    Coal Miner    Cornwall, Liskeard

I can't see him after this though.

It looks like Durham Record Office have a Register of deaths in Durham Prison, 20 January 1879 - 23 June 1963, but it looks like you can only see it if you visit, maybe someone could have a look for you.

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/FAQ.php?faq_id=36&cookiecheck=1

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jor/

You could always give them a call, some record offices can be very helpful especially if you know dates etc. :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)