Author Topic: Help with will transcription 1587, partially transcribed  (Read 505 times)

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with will transcription 1587, partially transcribed
« on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I have tried my best to transcribe this will. At least it is not in Latin! But if anyone can add anything to what I have done (or correct it) I would be most grateful. I attach both the will and my transcription (sorry if it is not in the standard transcription format with appropriate brackets etc)

Thank you,
Louise in California

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Help with will transcription 1587, partially transcribed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
A start (a couple of additions and modifications to your transcription):

In the name of God Amen the xx111jth day of May a thousand fyve hundredthe eyghtye seaven(?)  I
Thomas Merie of Bridlington sicke of bodie but perfect in remembrance praysed be almighty god do
make this my last will and testament in maner and forme followinge  Ffirst I bequethe my soule to
almyghtie god and to Jesus Christ my saviour in whose christeninge(?) is my whole truste of my salvation
and my bodie to be buried in the churche of Bridlington my pishe [parish] churche    I give to William Merye my eldeste(?) sonne thirtie pound in full satisfaction of his ____ ____

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
My stab at a revision of your full transcription.
Note - don't rely on my reading of the witness names!  After the witnesses are lines in Latin which should relate to when and where the will was proved.  My Latin is too rusty to attempt a translation.
Philip

In the name of God Amen the xx111jth day of May a thousand fyve hundredthe eyghtye seaven(?)    I
Thomas Merie of Bridlington sicke of bodie but perfect in remembrance praysed be almighty god do
make this my last will and testament in maner and forme followinge    Ffirst I bequethe my soule to
almyghtie god and to Jesus Christ my saviour in whose christeninge is my whole truste of my salvation
and my bodie to be buried in the churche of Bridlington my pishe [parish] churche    I give to William
Merye my eldeste sonne thirtie pound in full satisfaction of his childes portion And I give to my said
sonne Willm one Brasse potte And I give to Thomas Merye Robt Merye and Raufe Merye my three
children ____ out of them one Brasse potte And I give to Ellinor Merye my wyfe three sylver spoons
And I give and bequeath to John Merry my sonne the third ___ of the ____ for the whole yeare ___
in my ______ in full satisfaccion of his childes portion And to be at the goverment of my sonne Willm
Merye The Rest of all my goode my dette _____ and all other funrall expenses discharged I give
 to Ellinor Merye my wife, Thomas Merye, Robert Merye and Raufe Merye my children whomme
I make my full executoures of this my last will and testamente  Witnesses Thomas Clarke, Willm
Talver Thoma Mawyer and Richard Aveman

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, Philip! I had guessed at the Brass pott, then deleted it thinking surely that cannot be. Never thought such a will would get down to brass pots and silver spoons I guess. This is so helpful. Many thanks. And, no wonder I hadn't a clue on the last part. I will have to defer to the Latin experts on that.

Now if i can get a bit more on what is given to his son, John (poor boy doesn't get a brass pot I guess) that will take care of this one and is so helpful in putting this family group together.

Again, many thanks!!

Louise

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome, Louise.

If my reading is correct, it looks as though John may have received a year's income (from rents or harvest or whatever) - but I can't figure out exactly what the words are!

Still a few gaps to fill, and the Latin translation, but it's getting there!

All the best
Philip

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I give and bequieth to John Merye my sonne the third p(a)rt of of the [    ] for the whole yeares in tymes in my lease in full satisfaccon of his childes portion 

.... my three children everie one of them one Brasse pott.

..... The rest of all my goodes my dettes legacies and all

Not sure about the 'in tymes' - difficult to see with the down stroke of the 's' in spoons above.
I expect it may be something like 'terms' - it doesn't say his occupation, but some farmers/yeoman/husbandmen had long term leases on their farms, of which they could pass on the years left when they died.
The other missing word evades me at the moment! Got to go out now, but will have a look later.
At first glance I though along the lines of 'cattles', but it doesn't really make sense there. Do you know the name of his property? It may be that. So ' the balles' ?

I have seen 'silver spoons' and 'brass pots' mentioned many times in wills. Prized possessions!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I think the word after yeares, at the very end of that line, is conteyned.

Also (line 4) ...
... and to Jesus Christ my saviour in whose bloud shedinge ... (= bloodshedding).

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
While we're struggling with the missing word in John's legacy, here's the gist of the probate ...

And on the twenty-sixth day of the month of January in the one thousand five hundred and eighty-sixth year of the Lord (= 1586/87), the Dean of Dickering certified concerning the probate of this will, through the first and the last three witnesses named above, (who were) sworn etc.; and administration of the goods of the same was granted to Ellinor, widow of the said deceased, the executrix named in the same will, she having been sworn etc., saving the rights of whomsoever; power reserved for granting the administration to Thomas, Robert and Raufe, sons of the said deceased and the co-executors named in the same will, being in their minority, when they shall come to apply for the same in form of law.

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Woohoo! Thanks all. We now have the Latin transcribed at the bottom of this will.

I have attached an updated transcription that now has only a small bit undeciphered. In that transcription I also added what I know about this family, as far as BMD info. I did not have the eldest son William, nor John (which i am assuming from the context of the will may be the 2nd eldest? The others I found christenings in the PR for. I need to make another search I guess.

But, since Thomas died in 1587 and his wife in 1591, the children were mostly (as implied by the Latin admon section) still in the minority.