Author Topic: Newspaper lookup in Pasadena Los Angeles please  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Newspaper lookup in Pasadena Los Angeles please
« on: Friday 17 March 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can find me an obit on Fr Tobias Patrick English. He was born 16 Mar  1929 in Dungarvan Waterford and died 21 Apr 2016 in Pasadena he was still working for St Andrews church in Pasadena.
 Also, whilst I was googling for info, I found a burial to a wife of Tobias's cousin. Her name was Evelyn Semenza. She married Laurence Samuel English. This was a 2nd marriage for both of them. I have been unable to find anything on Laurence other  than he he married Evelyn in 1958 and died in 1998.

So if some kind soul has some time to spare and access to newspaper and would help me out, I would be ever so grateful.

Thanks Anjo

Meant to add that Evelyn's death was also in Pasadena so I am presuming that her husband Laurence "Larry" was also in Pasadena.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper lookup in Pasadena Los Angeles please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I found an obit for MSGR Thomas P English who died 8 May 1975 in Chicago while en route to visit family in Ireland.  The funeral mass was assisted by his nephew, Rev. Tobias English of Our Lady of Malibu Catholic Church, Malibu, CA. 

Let me know if you're interested in it.

There is also an obit for a Msgr Michael M English, brother of Thomas P English.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 17 22:54 GMT (UK) »
These are all very interesting and would love to see the obits of Thomas P English and Michael M English.  The two links you sent me mention a different place of Tobias's birth which is a different county. I am fairly sure he was born in Dungarvan as I found his birth reg there. I am almost convinced he is connected to my "English" family from Dungarvan and need to find more info on them to confirm this. Whenever you get time to send me the info would be wonderful. Thanks so much for all your time and effort I really really appreciated it.

All the best Angela

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Butte, Montana:   www.findagrave.com

James English:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=English&GSiman=1&GScid=21101&GRid=26969327&

Michael M English:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=English&GSiman=1&GScid=21101&GRid=36852743&
-----------------------------------

Los Angeles, California:  www.findagrave.com

Thomas Patrick English:  one of the obits states that he died in Chicago on his way to Ireland, not in Los Angeles

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=English&GSfn=Thomas&GSiman=1&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=6&GScnty=201&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=154438586&df=all&

Tobias Patrick English:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=English&GSiman=1&GScid=7870&GRid=162201154&

You'll need to send me your email address via Private Message in order for me to send you any obits I've found.  Will not be able to get to them till tomorrow.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
From, The Anaconda Standard, 21 May 1924

In the estate of Father English, the legatees, the Rev. Father Mc Cormack, the Rev. Father Michael English and Tobias English of Yakima (Washington), have stipulated with the administrator, Judge J.J. Lynch, that James English, of Templecarden, Pallas Grean, Limerick (as written in newspaper), is also a legatee and entitled to share in the estate.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
There is no personal family information included in any of the funeral announcements for Msgr. Thomas P. English, who died 8 May 1975.  The only extra information was that he died in Chicago en route to visit family in Ireland.  There was no mention of his death in the Chicago papers.

His naturalization papers state he was from Pallasgreen, County Limerick and that he came over in 1927 on the Adriatic.  No other personal information.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the info I now think I'm barking up the wrong tree but have processed all this info and will keep searching to make a connection. Thanks so much for all your hard work.

All the best Angela

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Glad the little snippets of info have been able to create a picture of this branch of the "English" family tree.  Hopefully you'll be able to use it in the future to either confirm or reject them from your tree.