Author Topic: Two generations disappear from all records.  (Read 1595 times)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two generations disappear from all records.
« on: Saturday 18 March 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I can't find any traces beyond the 1911 census for four siblings born between 1899 and 1910.  I easily found their births and baptisms, and the deaths of their parents in 1932 and 1941.

I seem to have found a possible family link, with a few members of two generations of this family, emigrating to Quebec, Montreal, via Liverpool.  I could have totally the wrong person, but Ethel Greenwood born October 1902 Woolley Bridge, Cheshire, parents Thomas 1874-1932 and Martha 1873-1941 might have been the same person I found who sailed to Quebec from Liverpool on 10th June 1932, and returned on 16th September 1932 with her 2 year old daughter.  They give their last address in the UK as Warrington, and her job as "household duties".

Her aunt, Mary Ellen Greenwood, born 1870 in Salford may also be the same person who travelled to Quebec via Liverpool in 1893 and 1920.

Two generations of this family, which includes many people, totally disappear from the UK records.  The younger generation, the four children of Thomas and Martha Greenwood, are easily found in the 1911 census in Glossop, Derbyshire, but absolutely nothing after that.  The older generation, Thomas Greenwood's siblings, also disappear.  One sibling I can find nothing about is Mary Frances Greenwood, born 1876 in Broadbottom, Cheshire, who appears on the 1891 census as daughter, single, age 15, Jack Frame Tenter Cotton, living at Earnshaw Street, Hollingworth.  I remember being told that she worked as a servant at one time.  I am wondering if she travelled to Quebec, Canada initially with the family she worked as a servant for.

It seems so odd that two generations of a family who were previously very easy to find on all the records just seem to disappear. 

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family who possibly emigrated to Quebec.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
The passenger list for Ethel Greenwood 1932 travelling with her daughter Patricia was a married lady.

Her husband Mr Harry Greenwood  131.Sankey Street Warrington  is given as last address came from

Rosie

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Two generations disappear from all records.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Almost everybody in two generations of a family who were previously very easy to find in the records seem to just disappear after the 1911 census, I can't find any records for any of them. 

Hiram (1846-1909) and Mary Ann (1848-1900) Greenwood are very easy to find.  Their daughter Mary Ellen was born in 1870 in Salford, then they moved out to Charlesworth, Derbyshire where Thomas (1874-1932) was born and married Martha Bennett (1873-1941).  They are very easy to find, and all their children are on the 1911 census, Mary Alice born 1899, Ethel born 1902, Lily born 1909 and Frank born 1910.  I can't find anything definite about any of these children after the 1911 census.  There is a possibility they emigrated to Quebec, Canada, but I could be making a completely false link there.

The younger siblings of Thomas Greenwood also seem to completely disappear from all records.  Mary Frances was born in 1876 in Broadbottom, Cheshire.  The last record she appears on is the 1891 census as daughter, single, age 15, Jack Frame Tenter Cotton, living at Earnshaw Street, Hollingworth.  I remember being told that she worked as a domestic living in servant in that area.

Jane Ann was born in 1879 in Broadbottom, Cheshire, and she too last appears on the records in the 1891 census as daughter, single, age 12, scholar.  There is a tiny possibility that she is the same person as a listed marriage with no husband name shown on the record, in Glossop, Derbyshire in July 1899.

The only remote possibility I can find in the records is maybe a connection with people sailing to Quebec, Montreal from Liverpool.  There is probably another explanation for all these people being impossible to find in the records.  I searched marriages, deaths and censuses and found nothing else.

Hiram's grandmother, Fanny Greenwood born 1801 Heptonstall, had moved with all the family to Salford, where two generations were born, then moved out to Charlesworth after she was widowed, and is listed as a housekeeper in Charlesworth, Derbyshire, on the 1861 census, with her daughter Mary and two grandchildren, both from different children, Henry Greenwood age 7 and Joseph Smith age 2.  So there is a strong family link with Charlesworth after that, and a possibility that family members were domestic servants.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two generations disappear from all records.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD shows a possible marriage for Jane Ann Greenwood?

September qtr 1899
Glossop Registration District     vol 7b, page 1541

Greenwood, Jane Ann
+ possible spouses on the same page +
McGuigan, Martin
Booth, Samuel
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Also from FreeBMD:

Marriage, December qtr 1896
Rochdale Reg. District     vol 8e, page 118
Greenwood, Mary Frances
Shore, Robert Nuttall

(Groom's name confirmed on LancashireBMD!)

Making an assumption that the family that moved to Derbyshire, stayed in Derbyshire:
There are 2 possibilities for Mary Alice's marriage.
1935 Glossop RD to John Lee
1944 Shardlow RD to Ernest P Treece

And 2 possibilities for Ethel:
1923 Belper RD to Henry J Peters
1940 Glossop RD to Tom Woodhead

And 2 possibilities for Frank:
1940 Basford RD to Marie Shaw
1943 Basford RD to Kathleen M Plowright
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD shows a possible marriage for Jane Ann Greenwood?

September qtr 1899
Glossop Registration District     vol 7b, page 1541

Greenwood, Jane Ann
+ possible spouses on the same page +
McGuigan, Martin
Booth, Samuel

Thanks, I couldn't find any names for that marriage, only the date and place.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Also from FreeBMD:

Marriage, December qtr 1896
Rochdale Reg. District     vol 8e, page 118
Greenwood, Mary Frances
Shore, Robert Nuttall

(Groom's name confirmed on LancashireBMD!)

Thanks, I searched and never found that.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you look at the 1939 for Martha Greenwood  you'll find a couple of her daughters with her.

Can't post more because rest not on free index.

Ethel married Tom Woodhead Glossop Sep 1940 7B 3433

Ciderdrinker

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I have updated my previous reply with some possibilities! ;D
At least I agree with ciderdrinker on Ethel ;)

Are you using Ancestry to do your searches?
You should try to use FreeBMD, as it's easier to use.