Author Topic: Re:Percy James Leigh Pearson 1881-1932  (Read 2230 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Percy James Leigh Pearson 1881-1932
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
The 9 children may not have been his - the Robert Quinn she is living with may well be their father.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I think your best move is to get the 1901 marriage cert and see what info that gives you - address etc.
I have the Marriage cert. they were married in York at the Church of the English Martyrs. No help as still cannot find the 1901 census details.

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Was Harold his brother? there's a Harold W in the right area on 1891 with brother Percy J aged 9 b Islington

Yes, that is correct. He is my grandfather on my mother's side and Percy is my grand uncle.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 March 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
The 9 children may not have been his - the Robert Quinn she is living with may well be their father.
Florence Quinn's mother is Clark, birth registered in York March ¼ 1910.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 March 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I think your best move is to get the 1901 marriage cert and see what info that gives you - address etc.
I have the Marriage cert. they were married in York at the Church of the English Martyrs. No help as still cannot find the 1901 census details.

Does it give their addresses?  His occupation? Who are witnesses?

If the marriage was in Jan/Feb/Mar and 1901 census was taken 31March/1st April, they didn't have a lot of time to have moved.  Unless he immediately went abroad for the Boer War with his regiment as already mentioned, and she went with him as a "follower".
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 March 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »

Does it give their addresses?  His occupation? Who are witnesses?

If the marriage was in Jan/Feb/Mar and 1901 census was taken 31March/1st April, they didn't have a lot of time to have moved.  Unless he immediately went abroad for the Boer War with his regiment as already mentioned, and she went with him as a "follower".

They were married 29 Jan 1901. His address was York, Barracks. Christiana's was 10 Swann St., York ( Swann is my guess as not totally clear).Witnesses were Joseph and Sarah Jane Clarke. Percy was 20 and Christiana 19 and it was an RC marriage. His occupation was Corporal in the 5th Fusiliers, she had no indicated occupation. She did not become a 'Follower' and I believe that after the marriage he left the Army and moved with his Wife and 1st son to Northumberland, where the son died of Pneumonia etc.,On the sons death cert., Percy's occupation was given as Painter and Decorator. I hope that this helps.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 March 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
But I thought the time immediately after the marriage i.e 1901 census time, was a mystery as to where they were?  So how do you know they weren't both with the Northumberland fusiliers at the Boer War?
And then returned to Northumberland before the birth and death of child in 1902.
And then at some point between 1902 and 1911 she moved in with Quinn and had several more children.

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Alpvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 March 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Bill,
Regarding Percy and the Army. He joined up in 1899 but somewhere between then and the early 1900's he appears to have deserted which 'might' explain the missing 1901 information. He went back in 1906 when they re-started his service from the 8th May; even the Army are vague about what happened to him. He left the Army in 1915 after suffering rheumatic fever. That might have a bearing on the allusive 'missing children' because it was against the law not to register births with only still born slipping under the radar. They might have got away with one but there is potentially three with no record at all.

Alan

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 March 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
But I thought the time immediately after the marriage i.e 1901 census time, was a mystery as to where they were?  So how do you know they weren't both with the Northumberland fusiliers at the Boer War?
And then returned to Northumberland before the birth and death of child in 1902.
And then at some point between 1902 and 1911 she moved in with Quinn and had several more children.
We are talking about a 1 year window and I have not found any census records for 1901, so the answer must be I do not!