Author Topic: John Murray - Seaman, Merchant Service, Living in Stirling, Scotland  (Read 4255 times)

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Murray - Seaman, Merchant Service, Living in Stirling, Scotland
« on: Wednesday 22 March 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to find more information on John Murray, Seaman with the Merchant Service living at 66 Cowane Street, Stirling in 1925.  It is very difficult for me to find John Murray and his ancestors as we do not have a birth date, marriage date or death date) but we were told he Died At Sea.   We don't have a picture or anything else of John Murray.

The family information I have consist of John Murray who may or may not have been married to Annie Melville Campbell born January 14, 1898 Lintriggs, District of Falkirk, Scotland.  They had two sons together living at 66 Cowane Street, Stirling. The eldest son Robert Murray Campbell (Surname named after Annie's father Robert Campbell) b) December 21, 1921 in Stirling. I have birth certificate for the youngest son also named John Murray.  He was born in Stirling, Scotland on July 17, 1925.  His birth certificate was signed on August 1, 1925 in Stirling, and registered on 8th September by assistant Registar Robertha Cumming.  The birth Certiifcate No. 316 does not show that the child John Murray (Jr.) was illegitimate.

Annie Melville married John William Buchan Wilson on October 30, 1931 in Stirling. 

My guess is that John Murray (Sr.) Died at Sea between 1925-1931.  Any help locating John Murray Sr. and his ancestors would be much appreciated as I have hit a brick wall.  :( :-X :'( 
Murray and Campbell

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John Murray - Seaman, Merchant Service, Living in Stirling, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 17 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Was John named as the father on the birth certificates ?

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/registering-illegitimate-births#Discontinuation

Annie Melville married John William Buchan Wilson on October 30, 1931 in Stirling.
Was Annie noted as widowed on the marriage certificate ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
At the marriage of John William Buchan Wilson (35 years old) and Annie Melville Campbell (33 years old), Annie is listed as spinster and not listed as being widowed.  The register of marriage Cert. 142 (the 4 looks more like part of a &).  She was a domestic servant living at 66 Cowane Steet, Stirling.  If I can give you more information, I will be glad to provide what I can to solve this mystery. ;) :-X

John Murray (Sr.) is listed as the father of his son John Murray (Jr.).

I also read the Scotslandpeople you provided for me.  Interesting.
Murray and Campbell

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there is a tree on Ancestry that has a copy of the death certificate for John William Buchan Wilson
 3 November 1949 Larbert Stirling is this not your tree ?

Rosie

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there is a tree on Ancestry that has a copy of the death certificate for John William Buchan Wilson
 3 November 1949 Larbert Stirling is this not your tree ?

Rosie
My tree on Ancestry is Wilson.  I was in contact with a Linda (Wilson) Clynk for a short time and I know that she has an ancestry file and I am pretty sure that she would have the death certificate for John William Buchan Wilson as she is more closely related to Mr. Wilson.    I also have a copy of Mr. John William Buchan Wilson but I would have to check if I have added it to my file.  I have lots of information on him but not for John Murray whom I am desperately searching.  I would gladly accept anything you can provide to help solve the mystery.  Thank you in advance.

Murray and Campbell

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Does the birth registration for John Murray in 1925 include a date and place of marriage for his parents? I'm guessing from what you've said that it doesn't. Did John senior sign the birth registration?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
Birth

CAMPBELL ROBERT MURRAY
490/ 54
Stirling

The above would probably signify that the father was not present when Robert was registered, hence his middle name being that of his father’s.

Birth

MURRAY JOHN
490/ 316

CAMPBELL JOHN
490/ 316
Stirling

The birth of John Murray (1925) above shows the parents were not married.
This is apparent because John’s surname is registered under both parent’s surnames. This though, would signify that the father was present when John was registered i.e. signed his name as Father.

"Annie Melville married John William Buchan Wilson on October 30, 1931 in Stirling. 
My guess is that John Murray (Sr.) Died at Sea between 1925-1931"

What was John's occupation on the birth registration of John (Jnr)?

These are the 'Minor' deaths within those yrs 1925 - 1931...

MURRAY JOHN
041/MR 33
MARINE RETURN

MURRAY JOHN
053/AF 102
Service Returns

Both viewable on SP (scotlandspeople.gov.uk)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 01:34 BST (UK) »
What I have is an Extract of an entry in a Register of Births for John Murray b) July 17, 1925 at 66 Cowane Street, Stirling.  In the column for Signature of the Informant  (Signed) Annie M. Campbell Mother and (Signed) John Murray Father.  :-X ;D ;)
Murray and Campbell

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 01:39 BST (UK) »
John Murray Sr. was a Seaman (Merchant Service) in 1925 when John Murray Jr. was born
Murray and Campbell