Author Topic: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information  (Read 52851 times)

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark ... thanking you ... still digesting your information
So far .. Maj Denis living in Dublin Dec 1792 .... married to Elizabeth Nash of Cloontakilla who must have been from previous generations to the Elinor Elizabeth Nash who married Maj Denis's grandson Denis in 1846 (maybe a distant relative)??? ... Maj Denis was a descendant of the marriage of John Bingham to Frances Shaen (half heiress to Shaen Estates) one of two daughters of Sir Arthur and Susanne Shaen.... I did read about Binghamstown House ... it was leased to RC Rev Lyons prior ... maybe brothel a type of payback after Dublin libel court cases of 1833....sorry but am finding legibility and grammar of the writings difficult to decipher at the moment ... a purchase of land??

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi guys ... still trying to link the 1662 acres owned in 1876 by my great grandfather Arthur Shaen Bingham to part of the Shaen Estate inherited by Maj Denis Bingham (Illegitimate son William - Great Great Grandfather still difficult and almost impossible to find birth information)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
Sir Arthur Shaen married first, Jane, daughter of Sir Samuel Hele, Baronet of Fleet, Co. Devon but by her had no issue.

He married secondly, Susanna, daughter of Morgan Magan, Esq. of Togherstown, Co. Westmeath and by her had three daughters, two who survived him when he died 24 June 1725.

The eldest daughter, Frances Shaen married 1 June 1738, John Bingham of Newport, Co. Mayo, a descendant of Sir Henry Bingham, former Governor of Connaught. The youngest daughter, Susanna, married twice, first in 1739 to James Wynne of Hazelbrook, Co. Sligo, who died in 1748 without issue.

She married secondly, 23 February 1750, Henry Boyle Carter of Castle Martin, Co. Kildare and great grandson of Thomas Carter, distinguished in the service of King William.

Susanna Shaen Carter survived her husband and died at her residence. North Saint George St., Dublin, October 1807, at a very advanced age.

Susanna Magan Shaen married Robert Dillon of Clonbrock following the death of her husband and subsequently became the grandmother of the first Lord Clonbrock.

A deed of release made the 14th of December 1792 between the Right Honorable Robert, Lord Clonbrock, Denis Bingham, Esquire and John Bournes of Stonefield, Gentleman, reveals that the lands of Carrownaglough (Stonefield) were granted to John of Stonefield for the sum of £240.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
"Major" Denis Bingham died in a shooting accident in the first half of the nineteenth century.

The castle was destroyed by the IRA in 1925 and there is a reasonable chance Denis was buried there and the IRA wouldn't have been concerned about moving gravestones etc in the Chapel!

Quite the opposite and they were most likely locals.....

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark .. I'll have to plan a journey to the area and explore the remains of the site to satisfy my quest to discover my g g g grandfathers gravesite ....I have recorded your information into the Shaen roots of my family as I still chase William and his linkage ....:)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Denis did serve time -
DUBLIN KILMAINHAM PRISON GENERAL REGISTER 1789-1814

Name - Denis Bingham, age - 50, height - 5ft 9 inches, Committed by - Court of King's Bench, When committed - 28th November 1811, When discharged - 27th February 1812, Charged with - blank (although FindMyPast has incorrectly transcribed offence of previous prisoner), Sentence - Three Mths Impris, Fined £300 and to find security. 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
The following advert appeared 18 times between Feb and Aug 1792 in a Dublin newspaper

TO BE SOLD - the fee simple of the following lands; Tarfaghane, Sefken, Raigh, Tallahans, Drumreach, Ballymachfkeren, Carne, Forclogh, Terracmace, Arnagh, Emblicafk, Cloontekelly, Glancullen, Shranaploy, Leanaragh, Bellagelly, Roflduagh, Barrufky, Enver, Glancaftle, Drummullet, Donlagh, Carrowtige, Carroclogh, Dolough, Emblekeg, Barneagh, Lean, Knockbane, Alnebrocky, Sraghnekelly,, lying in the half Barony of Erris, and County of mayo, now set for upwards of £500 a year. No rents in Ireland are better paid or more secure.
Application may be made to D. Bingham, Efq., No. 2, Little Britain Street, or George Jenings, Efq., No 6, Skinner Row, where every satisfactory information respecting title may be had.

(have used character "f" to represent old "s")

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 05:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark ... thats interesting .. makes his birth 1761ish and sale of lands advertised prior to building Bingham Castle and Binghamstown ... I wonder how much was sold .... may have got sufficient sold to finance his buildings etc ..... also my G Grandfather Arthur Shaen Bingham had a fair bit in Doolough around the Lodge I believe.... three months ... couldn't have been too heavy an offence??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark ... thats interesting .. makes his birth 1761ish and sale of lands advertised prior to building Bingham Castle and Binghamstown ... 

See Reply #36  his father married 1761 and he wasn't 1st son!