Author Topic: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information  (Read 52271 times)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information
« Reply #405 on: Friday 11 October 19 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hallmark, I did some digging there. The eldest son of Anthony and Annie Kelly was Daniel Kelly (1870-1948). Assuming this name carried through the paternal side - no sign of it on maternal side yet - I searched Daniel Kelly for Belmullet. Find a marriage to Mary Cosgrove in 1881 (record listed as 1882 online though) and he'd be only 10 years younger than Anthony roughly. Father deceased and listed as Michael Kelly, Shop-Keeper. I also noted Rose Kelly as witness on Mary Carey and Michael Ruddy's 1875 marriage - Mary Carey was Annie Kelly's sister. Assuming she then connects to Anthony Kelly, she would possibly be a sister-in-law. Indeed, her husband is shown as Michael Kelly, born c.1845. They themselves also had son Anthony.

Wrapping this up I suspect Daniel, Michael and Anthony were sons of this Shop-Keeper named Michael Kelly. Do you know how I could dig deeper here? He may have owned land or suchlike. Edward Kelly also shows up as a son of Michael Kelly - here a farmer - in 1868 marriage. Not sure if this could be same Michael.

This remains speculative to an extent of course!

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: Friday 11 October 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Saying that there is also a few Daniel Kellys in Ballina. And we have Patrick Kelly as father to one who could be a brother of my Anthony. Patrick was incidentally the second son to Anthony and Annie. It seems very tricky to work on names alone here.

Offline Kathleenmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Its been a few years since we chatted, I forgot about all this for a bit but it all came up again today with verification from Ancestry.com that Katherine Geraghty was the wife of Major Denis Bingham..but you probably know that already..William does also appear as one of the children born in 1794...Katherine was my ancestor's sister in law, but they were poor Catholics so I can't find any further info about them..Did you go to Belmullet? the thread has gotten very interesting.
Cheers

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen
Great to hear from you again.
In response, we are not traveling for the foreseeable future due to the pandemic however I have conversed with a Bingham in Binghamstown who mentioned William and Anne to be born to Maj Denis cook but name unknown ... he also confirmed graves for William wife (my Great great Grandmother) and his daughter-in-law (my Great Grandmother) at Bingham vault at the Old Cross Cemetery.
I recently found William's son (Willy) family in Melbourne arriving 1860 from Ireland and have swapped info and pics with his relatives, they were pleased to make contact although my Grandfather Robert, his nephew arrived later in 1912.
I read Ancestry on "Kitty" but found no docs confirming marriage to Maj Denis or birth of William and Anne, I dearly would love to find something and also find Maj Denis and/or William gravesites.
I have penciled in Kitty and William birth date but need more to turn the info into ink
Please keep safe and maybe one day our paths will cross .. regards Bob

Offline Connaught

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I assume that the tower at the end of the building was a private chapel. Do we know anything further about that or if there were burials, or would be allowed to bury privately within the chapel?
I can find nothing about the build or interior of the castle, and have no family notes about it although one or two older (now deceased!!) relatives visited early in the 1900's

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I have spent all my spare time today reading this thread.
Fascinating stuff and how generously the researchers have given their time.
How do the find all this info I wonder?

Robert , You will understand the feelings of the people if you were to read Charles Egan's books before you go to Ireland.
He tells of Mayo in 1847 and the famine. And why landowners such as Lord Lucan  and Buuerke were hated..
The three books are a work of fiction but ring true..

I am also reading Somerville,s book...Lettrers from Ireland during the Famine of 1847.. Again this sheds light on the state of Ireland then and why the Protestant landlords were feared by Catholic Landlords.
And the irish hatred of the British  government who did little or nothing to help the starving Irish.

Family history is not just about collecting names .It is about people and the circumstances they lived in and those places they called home..

Offline Kathleenmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: Saturday 23 January 21 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob from Queensland. Im wondering if Kitty and Major Denis were actually even married..given he was a Protestant from the ascendant family, and Kitty the daughter of a Catholic peasant. Im also wondering if the sisters were actually from Newbrook.

Edward Kelly married Bridget Geraghty in 1775, she was born in 1757. Kitty in 1860.

Bridget had her first child in 1776..where as Kitty was much older when she had her children.
William not born until 1794.

Edward was working for Major Denis as his manager before they moved to Erris, and thats why I think the girls were born at Newbrook. What do you think?

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: Saturday 23 January 21 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen
Some compelling information, maybe I should move my search to the Newbrook to see if I can confirm the two sisters. Thanks for Kitty birth year, If Edward was Maj Denis manager it could stand to reason his sister -in-law may have found employment with Maj Denis ... maybe the cook and lover.
The different religions would certainly not go down too well at that time. Did you find anything on Williams actual birth as it may have been before he completed Bingham Castle ... wonder where they resided in 1794.

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: Saturday 23 January 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen
Just a thought ... Kitty may have baptised William in 1794 back near Newbrook... I'll check some church records?? Also I had assumed his birth as 1790?
Thanks mate
Bob
PS . Connaught...John ...I could only confirm the two graves inside the Old Cross Chapel in a private vault but now only ruins, also Bingham Castle did have a chapel on one end of the structure called Chapel of Ease where I believe his father Henry was buried 1789 .. only foundation ruins today ... no idea whether re-intered somewhere else??