Author Topic: Catholic Marriage Records- de statu/de statu libero - free status - meaning?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Titansiren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The phrase "de statu " is entered against a relative's marriage entry but no wife's name is entered. Elsewhere on the same record, the phrase "de statu libero" appears under the witnesses column but again no wife's name is entered.  Google translate came up with free status.  Can anyone suggest why this appears in place of his bride?  Also, how can I track down his bride's name?

I've attached screenshots of relative's entry and other example mentioned.

Thanks for any help. Hope this posted in right place.

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Marriage Records- de statu/de statu libero - free status - meaning?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Titansiren

I found that de statu libero translates to free status.  I also found mention that it could also mean free to marry - that his was single at the time.

You say that the entry is from a marriage certificate - would it be possible that it may be a posting of banns, prior to a marriage?  I ask this because I can see 5s in the far right hand column'

Good luck with your research.

Offline Titansiren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Marriage Records- de statu/de statu libero - free status - meaning?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 05:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply!  :)

I also found out that it meant that he was free to marry and finally found a record of his marriage in another parish.  I assume that the priest in the bride's parish needed proof that he was free to marry before proceeding with the nuptials.

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hope the marriage went ahead?

Offline Titansiren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
It did and they went on to have 6 children :)