Author Topic: Are Convict trial records available on line.  (Read 807 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are Convict trial records available on line.
« on: Monday 17 April 17 04:22 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate some help with my G.G.Grandparents, both convicts. I would like to know what the crime was that had them transported to Van Diemans Land.

Criminal records as follows

HENRY BIDDLE, Trial at Warwick (City of Coventry) Assizes. Sentence Life. Departed Portsmouth 20 Aug 1830, arrival Van Diemans Land 18 Dec 1830. Ship CLYDE.

ANN ROGERS,  Trial at Chester Assizes, Sentence 7 years. Departed London 28 Sep 1837, arrival Van Diemans Land 23 Jan 1838. Ship ATWICK.

They sought permission to marry on 15 Feb 1840 and were married in Launceston on 10 April 1840, Henry was listed as Ticket of leave labourer aged 26 and Ann a Convict aged 22. This gives me an approx birth as 1814 for Henry and 1818 for Ann.

If anyone can help I would be most appreciative.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Are Convict trial records available on line.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 17 04:53 BST (UK) »
If you look in the Tasmanian records name index, you will find conduct reports for both of them, with a note at the top of the offence they committed.

https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 17 05:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your reply, I found the site, and see Ann stole a pair if shoes, however for Henry I cannot read, I have tried all I know how and can't decipher it.

Is there another way?

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Leamington Spa Courier, December 5 1829, page 3

"At Coventry Police Office on Thursday, Henry Biddle and Thomas Podmore, were fully committed to take their trial, at the next Assizes, for robbing the house of the Rev, W. F. Hook of a gold snuff box and other affects."

Gerry

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 06:14 BST (UK) »
The bits I have managed to read so far of the brownish letters say : Transported for Felony. Gaol Report in prison before
and further along Hulk Report

The Hulk Reports are part of the AJCP ie Australian Joint Copying Project which have paper instruction books and microform original records and are held by State Libraries.

The County Record Offices would/ may hold Quarter Sessions trial records and some Gaol records. I sent for mine snail mail back in the days of international cheques etc. I am sure there is a more efficient system now.

Some counties have some records on ancestry and FindMyPast or online. Google the county record office of interest to find out what they still hold.

ANCESTRY and FindMyPast library editions would cover these type of records so could just use your library rather than subscribe.

Also use Trove to see Australian newspaper reports -- use advanced search -- its free -- might get descriptions of the voyage of the vessels and printed articles about your convicts or their names on lists. sometimes details on tickets of leave and conditional pardons give descriptions and crime details etc. Investigate fully what Tasmanian convict records are held in Tassie.
Mine are NSW.

Theft is usually Larceny so Felony is a more serious crime

Trials are either Quarter Sessions held at county record offices or Assizes at National Archives.
Reports of both can make the papers. Try the British Newspapers -- unlike Trove no one is correcting the OCR and so searching is hit and miss if name not transcribed mechanically correctly. The OCR text is free but one needs to subscribe to either FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archive to see original but one can get more than the snippet by feeding phrases within the article back into search and so get entire OCR text. Search not only for people but for the vessels.

Good hunting.
Its easier to read the record if you zoom about 130% should do it depending on your eyes.

Someone might know if printed indents exist for Tasmanian convicts -- I do not.

pH

Added all the following

I see Aussie1947 (Gerry) has kindly and wisely said :

Leamington Spa Courier, December 5 1829, page 3

"At Coventry Police Office on Thursday, Henry Biddle and Thomas Podmore, were fully committed to take their trial, at the next Assizes, for robbing the house of the Rev, W. F. Hook of a gold snuff box and other affects."

So the trial would be at the National Archives. Might find it online there. Also look in the newspapers for a trial report after the date above. It might be worth seeing too what happened to Thomas Podmore and his records might be more legible. Assizes are on a season basis such as Lent, Michelmas, Winter etc

Added note the in prison before was added. This also explains a life sentence

pH

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Coventry Herald and Observer, Friday, March 26 1830, page 4.

Coventry Lent Assizes. The Assizes for this City and County will be held at St Mary's Hall tomorrow (Saturday), before Chief Baron Alexander and Baron Garrow.  The following are the names of the prisoners to take their trials.

"Henry Biddle, (aged 22.) and Thomas Podmore, (aged 19.) charged with breaking into the dwelling house of the Rev. W. F. Hook, in this City, on 19th of October last, and stealing two gold rings, snuff box, and other articles, his property."

Gerrry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 06:31 BST (UK) »
The Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucester Advertiser, Thursday April 1, 1833, page 3.

"At Coventry Assizes on Saturday, Henry Biddle on the evidence of an accomplice, Thomas Podmore, was capitally convicted before a Mr Baron Garrow of a burglary in the house of the Rev. W. F. Hook of that City; and but for the recommendation of the jury and the intercession of the prosecutor, would have been left for execution."

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 17 06:48 BST (UK) »

Coventry Herald Observer, Friday April 2, 1830, page 3.

In this edition of the newspaper there is a lengthy article giving a blow by blow description of how the robbery was planned, how it happened and what occurred afterwards.  Thomas Podmore admitted King's evidence which basically left Henry Biddle "holding the baby" for the robbery.

The Jury found Henry Guilty but recommended mercy, the Rev Hook concurred.  The judge recorded a sentence of death but recommended his case to the consideration of His Majesty.

Gerry

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 April 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all at Rootschat
Cheers Judy