Author Topic: James Long and Sarah Busby  (Read 1473 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Long and Sarah Busby
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
I am trying to identify the James LONG who married Sarah BUSBY on 11 Oct 1792 in Standlake parish, Oxfordshire.

In many trees he has been identified as James son of George LONG and Elizabeth WARD christened on 23 May 1768 in Standlake Parish.

However, according to the Standlake parish register James Long son of George and Elizabeth died 25 Aug 1769. These two records are on the same double page image of the register along with the birth of James' younger brother Thomas chr. 02 July 1769. Maybe James' death has been attributed to Thomas.

If the register is correct then the wrong James Long is attributed as marrying Sarah Busby on 11 Oct 1792 at Standlake (there is a marriage earlier in Oct 1792 for a James Long and Sarah Busby elsewhere in Oxfordshire). From 1795 there is a series of children of James and Sarah Long chr. in Standlake (2) and the remainder in Shifford.

A possible James Long would be his cousin, son of George's brother William chr. 1737 and married 1761 to Ann Ed(g)ington. Their son James was chr. 1765 at Hanborough. George Long's Will 1788/Probate 1789 is on the OFHS site.

Would anyone have researched these people and be able to advise?

I am descended from Solomon Long chr. 8 Sep 1805 in Shifford son of James Long and Sarah (Busby).

Marilyn Long
Sydney, Australia

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: James Long and Sarah Busby
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 12:50 BST (UK) »
According to the OxFHS Marriage Index, this is the only marriage in Standlake and Oxfordshire, for James Long & Sarah Busby.
Sarah Busby being of Bampton.

The index isn't great for details, but the actual Parish Records may hold more clues.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
Steve, thankyou for that. Where is the OxFHS Marriage Index - I couldn't find it on their site?
Marilyn

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 April 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
It's a Searchable CD......you'll need to purchase it from OxFHS..........

Males and females indexed separately. Entries give details of both husband and wife, and date and place of marriage. Only covers the old county of Oxfordshire
Indexed on both Husbands and Wives — Price £50.00 — Order code OXF-MIhw

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Steve, thankyou. Noted. I have 2 of their CDs on Witney which gives me the parishes  of Standlake (has the marriage details), Shifford and Hanborough and these 3 cover my Longs.

You don't happen to have a CD for the parish of Bampton pre 1849 (Witney CD only has Aston Bampton from 1849) to see if there is a christening in Bampton for Sarah Busby, please? Hope I'm not too cheeky asking! It would likely be about 1760-1775 if you do have it.

Marilyn

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no. I don't have Bampton Pr's.

There is also Aston Bampton, which is on another CD.

From Wiki.

The ancient parish was one of the largest in Oxfordshire, and included the townships of Weald, Lew, Aston, Cote, Shifford, Chimney and Lower Haddon.[8] In 1857 the parish was split into the three ecclesiastical parishes of Bampton Proper, Bampton Lew and Bampton Aston, all now part of the united benefice of Bampton with Clanfield

I'm not sure why Bampton starts from 1849, but my guess is was a Chapelry of Aston Bampford.   There are many other Oxfordshire experts, with a far greater knowledge than me regarding Oxfordshire.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
No Sarah Busby baptism in Bampton.  I had a look through a few of my Oxfordshire CDs and didn't find a likely one amongst them (I don't have the full set).  I note, though that BUSBY is a name most frequently found in the area north of Witney.

Sarah Long, of Cote, aged 82 was buried at Shifford on 21 October 1849, which would indicate a birth year c1767.

There is a baptism of a Sarah Busby on 10 February 1766 at Chipping Norton, parents William and Elisabeth.  This couple also baptised a son named John at Chipping Norton on 16 August 1763, and a second John on 14 July 1771.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
If the register is correct then the wrong James Long is attributed as marrying Sarah Busby on 11 Oct 1792 at Standlake (there is a marriage earlier in Oct 1792 for a James Long and Sarah Busby elsewhere in Oxfordshire).

Was this information found on Ancestry?  Their indexing doesn't differentiate between banns and marriages, so that when there are two 'marriage' dates for the same names, the earlier entry is often just the banns.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
The earlier date will perhaps be for the licence.  The register for Standlake states that the marriage was by licence.   The Oxford Diocese Marriage bonds index:
http://www.whipple.org/oxford/diocesan_marriage_bonds.html

gives the date as 9 October 1792. 

It also gives the ages of both James and Sarah as 24, which would put Sarah's birth  in 1767/8, so I'm not entirely confident that she is the one from Chipping Norton.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk