Author Topic: Knock down brick wall  (Read 1037 times)

Offline kelseymartin19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Knock down brick wall
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Finally I'm starting to be able to chisel away at a brick wall I've had for months and months. My great great grandfather, Charles Nilsson b. 1858 in Sweden married Catherine Fellows b. 1867 in Birmingham. They married in 1886 in Sheffield and moved to the North east. For months and months I've been stumped as to why she didn't appear on the 1911 census with him and the youngest of the kids and why a housekeeper was listed instead. Charles, housekeeper Catherine Winspeak and three youngest children are residing at 118 Avondale Rd in Byker. Yesterday I found a second 1911 census completed my Catherine at 15 Wharton St, Gateshead completed very sparsely (no age for anyone or occupations) claiming that Charles and the three kids were in the house with her.

I do believe it is possible that he had left her and was no less residing with the housekeeper and had possibly taken the children with him.

Please can someone help me with just where I go from here. I'm desperate to know more but just don't know where to go from here.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Knock down brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Have you searched the newspapers? It's just possible that there might be something there that will give you a clue, perhaps a court case or something like that?

What about Charles's will if he left one? I'm not sure if you'd be able to access it as it's complicated with wills, but if you could there might be a clue in there.

It is also possible that it's an error. I've found that in the 1911 census's I look at, people do tend to make errors fairly regularly. Maybe they were between homes?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
Do you have either of their death certificates to see who the informant was? 

Also have you looked at Charles' Naturalisation record to see if that reveals anything?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jyv/

There is a 1903-4 school record for Raby Street Council School, Byker for Lily Nilsson born 31 Oct 1897, father Charles, giving the address of 90 Avondale Road, so perhaps Catherine had left Charles?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline kelseymartin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
I've tried searching everywhere but can't find any more information unfortunately. It's taken my months and months to get even this far!  :-[

No newspaper articles to be found, no wills or death certificates for neither Charles or Catherine that I can see.

I had thought that the naturalisation record above would be his but on arrival I discovered it's not him. He's very illusive, it's a nightmare

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
Could he be this death?

Charles Nielsen
Jun 1939 Durham S E
age 81
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 April 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'but on arrival I discovered its not him'.  Are you saying that there are two Swedish sailors named Charles Nilsson?   There is a newspaper report in 1915 about a Swedish sailor by that name overstaying his pass, but again it was in Shields.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
There is a newspaper article in 1901 Sunderland Daily shipping Gazette
Fatal blow with a poker

At Newcastle police court yesterday morning, Catherine Nillson, 35 was charged with having  caused the death of Dora Forster by striking her with a poker whilst in the passage of the house, 9 Theodosia Street, shortly after 7 oclock Monday night. The parties were assistants at an upholsterers and the affair seems to have arisen out of a personal quarrel and drink. Prisoner was remanded.

This is the same address as the 1901 census.

Could explain why Charles is living away from his wife in 1911. (I also see that Catherine refused to give their ages, it is scribbled on the bottom of the census)

Looking at Criminal Registers
Catherine Nilsson
Bailed 3 dec 1901
Age 35
Imprisoned
Date of Warrant 19 nov 1901
When received into custody   19 Nov surrendered in Court 18 Feb 1902
Manslaughter of Dorothy Jane Forster at Newcastle Upon Tyne 18 Nov 1901
Tried 18 Feb 1902
Verdict of the Jury   No Indictment presented to Grand Jury. Not Guilty on Coroner's Inquisition
Sentence or order of the court   To be discharged.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 17 00:53 BST (UK) »
Excellent find Middlesbrough  :D

This could be her death:

Catherine Nilson
Jan-Mar 1937 Gateshead 10a / 1061 aged 70

Offline kelseymartin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
I mean,  I was sure that it was him so I had ordered a copy of his Naturalisation papers but when they arrived I realised it wasn't him.

He was an engineering, listing himself as a 'machine fitter/repairer' on the census.

Wow Middlesbrough!!!!! Where did you find that? Brilliant find, can you send me the link?

Ah, that looks likely to be her Jomot - thank you for your help, I will order the certificate and let you know.