Author Topic: George CHAPMAN, sojourner?  (Read 546 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George CHAPMAN, sojourner?
« on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out the origin and parents of George CHAPMAN. He married my ancestor Susanna Gilbert of Pyworthy in 1794, and they both signed their names. The marriage was by Banns and the officiant wrote down that George Chapman was a bachelor of this parish, Sojourner, which I take to mean not a full-time or permanent resident? The pair lived in Pyworthy after the marriage and the couple's children were also born there.

George died in 1809 and left an administration doc. He was a blacksmith and one of his creditors was named executor of his under 100 pound estate.He was 41 when he died, putting his DOB at 1768?

I don't see any Chapmans born in Pyworthy around that timeframe.

Is there any way for me to find out where he was born, and to whom?

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George CHAPMAN, sojourner?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
This is not a hard and fast rule, but when George and Susannah were baptising their children it was quite common for the children to be named after their grandparents.  Typically the first boy would get his paternal grandfather's name, and the first girl her paternal grandmother's name.

George and Susannah name their eldest son John, and eldest daughter Mary, so it's worth looking for a George Chapman whose parents are John and Mary.  I can't see a likely one in Devon, but in nearby Launcells, Cornwall a George Chapman, son of John and Mary was baptised on 12 July 1768.

Proving that this is your George Chapman is more difficult, but that looks like a good place to start.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George CHAPMAN, sojourner?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much - I see George had a sister, Ann, baptised in 1771 and a potential sister Susanna baptised in 1766 in Marhamchurch.

I can't find the deaths of John or Mary Chapman...