Author Topic: French Records Help Please  (Read 790 times)

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French Records Help Please
« on: Sunday 07 May 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Im completely new to records on mainland Europe so havent a clue other than whats available between FindMyPast, ancestry & family search so hoping someone can help..

Im looking for a wife for this guy

First name(s)    Frederick George
Last name    Chippendale
Year range    1860-1865
Marriage place    PARIS
Country    France
Record Source    GRO Consular Marriages (1849-1965)
Volume    3
Page    424
Record set    British Nationals Married Overseas 1818-2005

and proof of the parents for this guy (im presuming its Frederick)

First name(s)    John Augustus
Last name    Chippendale
Birth year    1860-65
Place    PARIS
Country    France
Volume    3
Page    609
Record source    GRO Consular Birth Indices (1849 to 1965)
Record set    British Nationals Born Overseas 1818-2005

if anyone can help or point me in the right direction, would be much appreciated
regards
One name study of Chippindale, Chippendale, Chippingdale & any other variant in the UK

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: French Records Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
just to update i have found a marriage in 1882 for john augustus chippendale

Marriages Mar 1882   (>99%)
CHIPPENDALE    John Augustus         Fulham    1a   367
DUPIN    Anna Mary         Fulham    1a   367

but no sign of any census so returned to France?
One name study of Chippindale, Chippendale, Chippingdale & any other variant in the UK

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
I have found the death of a Frédéric Georges CHIPPENDALE
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that - one of my "better"tricks seems to be sending messages before they are finished.

I wanted to say that I have found the death of a Frédéric Georges (sic) CHIPPENDALE aged 59, a dental surgeon, in Paris 8ème on 13 May 1881.  He is the son of John CHIPPENDALE, banker, and husband of Ellen BAXTER aged 46.

I have also found a son of this couple:

Frédéric (sic) born 20 July 1861 in Paris 17ème, died 4 August in Montigny-Lencoup (Seine-et-Marne).  In both these entries, the father is an employee and in the death entry the forenames are in reverse order.  No ages are given for the parents in the death entry but in the birth entry FG is 38 and Ellen BAXTER 30.  It's a bit difficult to read because of a tight binding, but it looks as if the baby's parents were still in Paris when he died, so he may well have been sent to the country to a wet nurse.

If you think these are of interest, I can send you the relevant links to the departmental archives.

Judith

HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Judith,

Im pretty sure thats my guy the age fits nicely and it ties him to who i had in mind for his second wife!
where would i look in future for these records, links would be brilliant, much appreciated...

Thanks again, 
Laura

just as an afterthought is there an equivelent of census there i could search, a sister of the above married jean achille rouget in 1838 in Paris, she is at home in 1841 with her family but widowed by 1851 with no sign of her husband?

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 17 13:56 BST (UK) »
I'll send you the links - I looked at the entries via a commercial site to which you wouldn't have access to without subscribing, so I need to search again, but with all the details it shouldn't take long.

The main problems with research in Paris are the lack of records because so much was burnt in 1871, as you probably know.  Also there were no censuses  for Paris before 1926 unlike elsewhere in France.  However, I have found two mentions of a death for Jean Achille ROUGET, one on 10 March 1838 in the reconstituted civil records (which must make his marriage one of the shortest on record) though I don't think it is his death but probably a misattribution of his marriage by the commercial site, as I also found a record for the death of Jean Achille ROUGET widower of Agnès CHIPPENDALE on 4 December 1897 in Paris 8ème.

Do you read French by the way?  If so, I can send you just the links if I find any other records.

There are also some references to Agnès on Généanet, for example here are three photos of her grave in the Cimetière Montmartre:

http://www.geneanet.org/gallery/?action=detail&id=5993638&individu_filter=CHIPPENDALE&rubrique=monuments

And I've just noticed that Frédéric Georges and Jean Achille ROUGET are there too, with the latter's date of death as 1897, so that all ties in nicely.  Three references link to those photos and the other two to Family Search, so you've probably already seen them.

I fear Anna Mary DUPIN would be hard to find in France without any other information.  Sorry to be pessimistic.

Judith
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 May 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
I dont speak French im afraid but will certainly take a look and give it a try see how far i get :)
As I said im totally new to any French records and wasnt 100% what there really was to look for or where exactly without just fumbling about... so thankyou again, just PM me if you spot anything.

Im stuck at work for the next couple of days but will sort out what youve found for me and if its ok with you ill give you a shout.

regards