Author Topic: Osborne / Jones  (Read 2978 times)

Offline fauxy lady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Osborne / Jones
« on: Friday 16 June 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi to anyone who can help. I am trying to find information on Susannah Osborne, born to John Osborne and Elizabeth Partridge in 1838 in Whittington Worchestershire (family search documentaion.
In 1851 she was working in Cowle for John Pigeon Cottrill as a maid.
John Cottrill's wife died in 1854 and I suspect Susannah moved onto another Jones family possibly related to John Cottrill's wife Jane Brookholding Jones.
The family story is that Susannah the maid married the (a) son of the Jones family Charles Jones  in 1857 and they went to Australia
I have a copy of the marriage certificate
At Norton Juxta Kempsly, Charles Jones, full age, father Harry, cordwainer.
The Australian side of the story is well documented and known.
My problem is which Jones is he.
Charles maybe only one of his names as the only other Jones that came out with the ship Susannah was on was William Henry aka Charles.
At his 1st marriage he said father was Harry a cordwainer (his first son was Harry)
His 2nd marriage in Australia he said his father was Edwin Charles Jones a shoemaker and mother Catherine Jane Bradley.
His death cert. says his father was Joseph mother Jane, it is understood he supplied that information before his death.
As you see I have a real problem working out who his parents were.
His children were Mary Ann, Harry, Alice Jane, Frederick, Eva and Alfred. The name Carrington appears in every generation and is believed to be a family connection. Charles was a bootmaker in Ballarat Victoria. Susannah died in 1871 and was buried with her stillborn son Alfred.
Me and many others have tried to unravel this puzzle I hope someone can help. Fauxy Lady

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Osborne / Jones
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but I am finding this a bit hard to follow, and to sort out what you want to know!

You say you have the marriage cert of Susannah Osbourne to Mr Jones, but then say you don't know which Jones he is?  Just that he maybe a son of a Charles Jones, and that the only Jones on the ship with her was William.  Well,  what name is the person she marries, from the marriage cert? What is his father? And then what occupation address etc to help trace that family on earlier censuses?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Looks like this one liz  :-\

Charles Jones
Susannah Osborne
26 Apr 1857
Norton Juxta Kempsey, Worcestershire

ADDED In case it helps
Hi jan This is how I fit in. Susannah &Charles Jones/ Alice Jones  & George Giles/Albert & Violet Giles/ Zella Giles & Eric Maple/ Susan Maple & Ron Faux. I have been tracking Charles for years. I wrote to Lord Carrington years ago and he said no relation.  I  think our best bet would be finding a descendant of a cousin in England :) that may know about Susannah marriage. On the Osborne side they are Osborne, Whadcoat, Lawrence and Stevens. Charles married a second time in 8.7.1873 to Margaret Floyd (nee Carrig)
Copied from this link  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752980.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fauxy lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 17 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosi99, my biggest problem is Charles has changed his parents info three times.

Offline fauxy lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 17 04:55 BST (UK) »
rosie99, i am new to this and I did reply but I am not sure where it went. I posted the reply to janjones and we have been in contact we are from the same family line, me Alice and janjones Eva.

Offline fauxy lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 17 06:08 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add that Charles age is dicey also he was
30 in 1857,  birth of Mary Ann
32 in 1861, birth of Alice,
38 in 1873 , 2nd marriage
72 in 1897, at death
I suspect he was born in 1829 as his wife gave his age as 32 in 1861 not him.