Author Topic: CULLEN'S of Armagh  (Read 11449 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
Re: CULLEN'S of Armagh
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 February 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
of course I would. That's why we are all here.
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline EllenMcKenna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 05 March 21 16:04 GMT (UK) »
The father was Roger Cullen who married Catherine Clark in Armagh City, 4th April 1819. Their wedding was witnessed by Matthew Malloy and Peter Cullin. They went on to have Five children that I have found.
Margaret, 17th November 1819. (Catherine was therefore pregnant when she married Roger)
James, 22nd December 1822
Owen , 29th May 1825
Denis, 9th August 1828
Jane, 24th April 1832.
Roger died 14th March 1868 at Tullygarron, Armagh. He was a widower, and a Farmer. He died from cancer of the foot which he had for 13 years. Margaret Cullen was present at his death.

Jane Cullen married Peter Quin on the 17th January 1850 in Armagh. They had seven children. Their first child was born two months later.  The fourth child was Mary Jane born 20th August 1859 who married John McElmeel in Armagh in 14 th February 1887. She is my great gran mother.

Is this the same family?

Offline cmower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 06 March 21 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this is definitely the same family.  My records were given to me and I have yet to verify all this information, but I show the following:

Roger Cullen (spelled Rodger in my records) born abt 1799 married Catherine Clark born abt 1799.  I'm also showing the same 5 children, all born in Armagh, but Armagh is not always listed exactly the same. 

Margaret  B 1819
James  B 1822
Eugene Owen  B May 29, 1825  D Nov 27, 1905
Denis  B 1828
Jane  B 1832

Eugene Owen (if I have the name correct) was my great grandfather.

My records are very sketchy, as the person who did all the research is my aunt on my mother's side.  The Cullens were on my father's side, so there isn't as much information.  In addition, my aunt is now 98, so all of her work was done by visiting libraries, cemeteries, churches, court houses, etc, either in the US or Ireland.  Some of the records are still in hardcopy and in need of review.  I'm hoping to get through it a little bit at a time.  Let me know if there is anything I can provide.  Thank you for the post!
Mower, Cullen, Kelly, Quinn, Kestner, Bickell, Kamerle, Burke, McGivern, O'Hern, Hickey, Byrne, Kerwin, Moore

Offline EllenMcKenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 08 March 21 12:09 GMT (UK) »
That’s great. I only found this family link a week ago. I know nothing about them. I know Jane and her family Line, since this is my ancestors. I can provide their details, and events.
I have the records from the baptism, marriage and death. Along with the witnesses. Although some of the hand writing was poor.

I know that Roger Cullin died in 1868 and was recorded as 80 years old. This puts his birth to  around 1788. But it is probably later. No baptism record for him. From the Griffiths valuations in 1864, Roger was a tenant farmer of just over 7 acres at Tullygarron, Grange, Armagh. He rented this from a Miss Porter. His son Owen took it over.
To date I can only find one record for a Catherine Clark, a baptism record, 4th April 1819. Making her near 14 years old when she married Roger. Not unusual for pre-Famine marriage ages. Her father was John Clark and her mother Cate Turnon. This may not be the right Catherine.

You say that your aunt did the original researching. Obtaining records from US and Ireland. Are you based in Ireland or US?
I look forward to learning more about this branch of the family.

Thank you for your reply.