Author Topic: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW  (Read 22496 times)

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW
« Reply #145 on: Monday 02 October 17 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Muss,

I was likely adding to my post when you posted.    I see the Rootsweb info includes email address for the person who updated 28 September this year.    :) 

Hopefully  there's possible leads for our OP to follow up.

JM (I still have notifications turned off on this thread).
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Thursday 05 October 17 01:49 BST (UK) »

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/52732?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Microfilm of original records in possession of (JM REMOVES NAME OF POSSIBLE LIVING PERSON), Cardiff Heights, New South Wales.

Contains cemetery transcriptions from various cemeteries in Scone Shire.

Contents: Gundy Presbyterian, 1874-1918 -- Moonan Brook General, 1875- 1963 -- Moonan Flat Private, 1878-1927 -- Scone "St. Luke's" Church of England, 1812-1837 -- Scone "St. Mary's" Catholic, 1857-1919 -- Bunnan "St. Jude's" Church of England, 1887-1969 -- Brushy Hill, 1910-1942 -- Rouchel General, 1825-1968 -- Sparke's Creek "Karoona" Private, 1876-1887 -- Gundy "St. Matthew's", 1872-1934 -- Upper Rouchel two isolated graves, 1866-1868 -- Turanville Private, 1838-1888.

Perhaps our OP may consider following up on the original records re those two Upper Rouchel isolated graves  ::)

JM

Thanks JM! Yes, those two isolated graves are definitely Finlay and Catherine as per the FamilySearch website: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89WB-HH7D?i=1&cc=2058669
I'll see if there is any way I can find the actual location of the roadside graves.

EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Thursday 05 October 17 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Information on this site recently posted   http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=Search&includedb=&lang=en&ti=&surname=macdonald&stype=Exact&given=&bplace=&byear=&brange=0&dplace=rouchel&dyear=&drange=0&mplace=&myear=&mrange=0&father=&mother=&spouse=&skipdb=&period=All&submit.x=Search

Muss

Hi Muss! Thank you for this, I have just contacted the author of the database and judging by the amount and type of information they have, I'm guessing that they could be a close relative of mine, separated by only a few generations. Fingers crossed!
EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Thursday 05 October 17 01:55 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest, there is a death registered in Scone on 19 November 1868

Female McDONALD, parents William and Ann at Scone reg 6518/1868

This is most probably a baby but I suppose there is a small possibility that the name was too difficult to read when the index was created ...  ?

Ros

Thanks Ros!
I think there might be a small sliver of possibility but it is probably not likely. In addition, I'd be wondering where the names William and Ann came from.
EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Thursday 05 October 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest, there is a death registered in Scone on 19 November 1868

Female McDONALD, parents William and Ann at Scone reg 6518/1868
This is most probably a baby but I suppose there is a small possibility that the name was too difficult to read when the index was created ...  ?
I think there might be a small sliver of possibility but it is probably not likely. In addition, I'd be wondering where the names William and Ann came from.

I wouldn't discard the possibility of a William in the family just yet...

From Reply #1

Death: 6568/1866 Finley (sic) McDonald AGE 70 YEARS DIED SCONE

4874/1868 Catherine McDonald father  JOHN DIED MAITLAND

Marriage of youngest daughter, Catherine to Donald William McLean: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18647019

I admit I haven't gone through dates etc. (too tired right now & a very long thread)!  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Thursday 05 October 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
Not any help on the current conversations/queries but I did more searching last week for a possible connection with the place name in Aus being in relation to a place name back home in Inverness.

A few links which may/may not be of relevance/interest but closest name is 'Stoney'  :-\

https://canmore.org.uk/site/76685/stoneyfield-house

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/11251/1/EN11251-stoneyfield-toll.htm

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=14758

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Thursday 05 October 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
I've lost the plot here Annie, is Strone any use?

Skoosh.

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Sunday 22 October 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hey everyone,

I've been in contact with someone that has linked Findlay and Catherine to his family tree (on Ancestry) through Mary McNeven. Their information said that Mary was born in 1829 in Inverness (according to a death cert (one that I haven't seen)). They mention all the other children, but place Anne and Margaret as one person. This doesn't make sense to me as Nancy and Margaret were mentioned as two separate people in the NSW Archives records. He has written a book which he is willing to sell to me, but I just want to make sure that I have the right people before I invest $50 in the book. Is there any way a child could be missed off the register? Or simply could Mary be Anne? Or is Margaret, Anne? I am so confused.

EB
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)