Author Topic: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2  (Read 36445 times)

Offline gallivanting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2
« Reply #54 on: Friday 08 October 21 21:24 BST (UK) »
My father did his basic training at HMS Victory between January 4, 1940 and February 13, 1940, at which time he was assigned to the Armored Merchant Cruiser HMS Maloja. In you picture, Hayward Young (my father) is the one in the center with the big smile on his face (3rd from left in second row). Interestingly, I have the same picture. I would very much like to see your other pictures. For more, visit; https://gallivanting.ca/stories-my-father-told/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 30 October 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gallivanting, sorry for the late reply, good to hear from a relative who served on the same ship and training ship as my Father.
His name  was John William Anthony and he was born in St. John's Nfld. There are 36 photos photos taken which I believe were taken around the same time:

Here is a post including two vessels that were among the photos:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774244.0

I have the crew photos that are on your great website ( Thanks for the link) my father is the one laid down on the left, and top right on the back row of your first photo. I don't have copies of all the photos as they belong to my Brother who is a bit precious over them. He lives some distance from where I live but will be visiting him soon where I can take another look at them and maybe copy some more.

The attached photo had "Bermuda" written on the back.

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 30 October 21 14:33 BST (UK) »
Another one from the same batch. The second one was identified as being taken in Greenock.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 30 October 21 16:36 BST (UK) »
More for you.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 31 October 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
If any of these images are any good to you, then feel free to use them. I can clean any of them  up if you like, as I restore photos on the Photo Restoration Board.
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 01 November 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
If you want to reply Gallivanting, just go to the last message and then click on reply button at the bottom  ;)
Carol

Offline gallivanting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 01 November 21 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for sharing your story and photos.

I have already updated gallivanting.ca

I believe that your photo "WWII War Ship.jpg" is a picture of the sinking of the "La Coruņa". The scuttling of the "La Coruņa" occurred on March 13, 1940. All 68 German crew members were rescued by the crew of the AMC HMS Maloja. For more visit; https://gallivanting.ca/stories-my-father-told/

Thanks again,
Wayne

Offline NSWP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 06:19 GMT (UK) »
As an aside, my grandfather on my father's side served in RN from 1915 to 1946 as a seaman and later officers steward. He was stationed at HMS Victory (Shore Establishment, Portsmouth) for a while as PO Steward, upon retirement he was Chief Wardroom Steward as a Petty Officer Steward. He also served on various HM ships, cruisers and destroyers during his 30 years, one of which I believe was HMS Indefatigable WW2 Aircraft Carrier.

Sorry if I am off  key here.
Residing in Batemans Bay, Australia, but originally from 'Mother England', transported to HM Colonies in 1966.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for sharing your story and photos.

I have already updated gallivanting.ca

I believe that your photo "WWII War Ship.jpg" is a picture of the sinking of the "La Coruņa". The scuttling of the "La Coruņa" occurred on March 13, 1940. All 68 German crew members were rescued by the crew of the AMC HMS Maloja. For more visit; https://gallivanting.ca/stories-my-father-told/

Thanks again,
Wayne

Thanks for the update Wayne, great to have the vessel identified, some very useful info and interesting photos too. I think you intended to mention my Father as "Chap" rather than "Clap"  :-X ;D

Do you have the navy recruitment poster as I wouldn't mind a copy of the whole thing.

Carol