Author Topic: George and Elizabeth Glover- Barthomley/Wybunbury  (Read 1910 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
George and Elizabeth Glover- Barthomley/Wybunbury
« on: Thursday 13 July 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
I have brother and sister George and Elizabeth Glover.

I know that Elizabeth Glover married william tomkinson at Barthomley in 1787 and that william died in 1806, leaving Elizabeth a widow.

i have the daughter of George Glover- also called elizabeth- marrying ralph smith in 1799.

I think that George was born 1761 and his sister elizabeth born 1766.

I am trying to find out who and when George married- and a baptism for their daughter elizabeth who married in 1799.

I think they would have remained in the Barthomley/ Wybunbury area.

Any help really appreciated.

Caroline

Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George and Elizabeth Glover- Barthomley/Wybunbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
George Glover aged 27 of Barthomley  and Margaret Simpson aged 28 of Wybunbury were married by licence in Wybunbury parish church 1 Jan 1789 although the licence was issued 31 Dec 1788.

I cannot find a birth for an Elizabeth daughter of George.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Now I am struggling- because I know that george glover and Mary were siblings and that mary married a Mr Tomkinson. I found George baptised in 1761 and his sister baptised in 1766 (both with father Robert. I did find a marriage for mary glover and William tomkinson in 1787. Mary is a widow in 1812 and William tomkinson duly died in 1806- so that is all correct.

Now her brother George- I do know that George had a daughter who married in 1799 so it would seem that this marriage in 1789 cannot be correct.
It would be feasible for George to have married at the age of 18/19 and to have had a daughter almost straight away to give him a daughter who could have married in 1799.

Whilst george and his sister mary appear on the Barthomley registers, by the time George's daughter married in 1799 he was living in Snape- just a couple of miles or so west of Barthomley.

Any ideas!!!!!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 July 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
The George who married Margaret Simpson was born 1761 according to the marriage licence.

I have looked again and still cannot find anything for an Elizabeth Glover daughter of George. Where did you find this information?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
I have the copy of a marriage certificate between Ralph smith and Elizabeth Glover dated 9th May 1799 at Audley St James.

The witnesses were George Glover and John Latham.

I am now beginning to wonder if George Glover was Elizabeth's brother and not her father!

I know for sure that George Glover had a sister Mary- both born in the 1760s as stated- and John latham is a significant person in the life of ralph Smith.

I also have Ralph smith and John Latham living within a mile of Snape Farm where George Glover was the tenant in the 1790s.

So I am confident the wedding in 1799 is correct and I am quite confident in the baptisms at Barthomley of George and Mary as brother and sister.

I wonder if it is realistic to think that the George Glover as tenant of snape Farm in the 1790s is the George Glover born 1761, sister of Mary-will have to have another look.

caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
I also wonder if anyone can find the baptism of elizabeth glover in the audlem/weston/wybunbury/barthomley area from around 1760 to 1780- realistically for her to be of the right age for the marriage in 1799 and possibly a sister to george and Mary.

Help!

Caroline :)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 July 17 08:21 BST (UK) »
Still cannot find a baptism for an Elizabeth Glover which fits. The children of Robert Glover of Barthomley are as follows
Sarah 1750
Robert 1753
Hannah 1756
Arthur1758
George 1761
Mary 1766

George and Margaret had a son George in Barthomley in1789, but I can find no other children.

Emeltom

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 July 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1841 Census I can find Ralph Smith, a farmer, in Wybunbury with wife Elizabeth. He was born in Cheshire but, according to the Census she wasn't.

Emeltom

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 July 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Right I think I may have found Elizabeth.

On the entry for her marriage to Ralph Smith in Audley she is down as being 17 years old, therefore born 1782.

There is a baptism in Audley in 1781 for an Elizabeth Glover daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth.

Surely this is the Elizabeth Glover who married Ralph Smith.

Emeltom