Author Topic: trying to find info on george woods  (Read 1506 times)

Offline snoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
trying to find info on george woods
« on: Sunday 31 July 05 17:52 BST (UK) »
hello,

i am trying to find information on my gt gradfather George Woods,  he was born in Mold in 1870, married in 1891 at the time of marriage he was listed as a sgt Cheshire Regiment.  On the birth cert of his son in 1905, he is listed as quater master sergeant,  on his death cert in 1926 he is listed as acting regimental sgt major cheshire regiment, army pensioner.  I have been in contact with the cheshire regiment who were very helpful, but sadly could not find any positive trace of george woods.  Family rumors said that he worked in the officers mess in chester, although i am unable to confirm this.  I would dearly love to obtain his service records but without his regimental number i am unable to do this.  Can anyone advise me as to what i should do, as i live too far away from london to search.

Any help would be great
thanks
snoopy

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: trying to find info on george woods
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Snoopy
I think this this information is what you need for proof
From the Kelly's Directory 1914.

National Reserve. (Chester district)
Headquarters and social club.
(H.G.Ward . Sec. Sergent Major George Woods. Steward.)

I got a few hits for the entry i put in so i will go back a couple of page's and find the address. Did George die in Chester?

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again Snoopy
I found the address under Trades societies.It was
11,Eastgate Row North Chester. I cant find any other reference to him being at the club in any other years before or after 1914 he may have been at war. I don't know where he lived but i thought chester,so i looked up private residence in chester 1914. A few George woods came up but they had other names.Being in the army George would be precise if he had middled names they would be given. On the off chance i then tried looking for George in Cheshire. That time i got an extra George. George Woods,98 Union St  Sandbach(my G.Grandad was born in sandbach) I think the best place to inquire about George's time at the club might be the Chester and Cheshire archives.They might have records of the establishment.Fantastic place for the most unusual records.If there is anything you would like me to look up in the Cheshire directories let me know.Beacause our library has the books,and it's 95% quicker than using the directories on line ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 04:29 BST (UK) »
snoopy,this blokes served at least 20yrs,there should be info on him in the army pension records,he was a sgt in 1901,so hes done at least 4/5 years in the army before then,with that amount of service in,there must be a lenghthy record of him at kew,AND he would have qualified for a long service good conduct medal,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline snoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 05 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack,

Many thanks for your reply it is appreciated.  George woods was a sgt in 1890 when he got married.  I thought when a man had served so long it would be possible to  get info on him, sadly i have not got very far.  Family talk said that he was the last man to have a full military funeral in Chester (1926) but there does not seem to be any info to be gained there either.  You seem to be very clued up on military history could you tell me does the number 2506 appear to be too short for a soldiers military number.  Also how can i get information from Kew, sadly i live too far away to visit in person.

Thanks
snoopy

Offline snoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 05 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again Snoopy
I found the address under Trades societies.It was
11,Eastgate Row North Chester. I cant find any other reference to him being at the club in any other years before or after 1914 he may have been at war. I don't know where he lived but i thought chester,so i looked up private residence in chester 1914. A few George woods came up but they had other names.Being in the army George would be precise if he had middled names they would be given. On the off chance i then tried looking for George in Cheshire. That time i got an extra George. George Woods,98 Union St  Sandbach(my G.Grandad was born in sandbach) I think the best place to inquire about George's time at the club might be the Chester and Cheshire archives.They might have records of the establishment.Fantastic place for the most unusual records.If there is anything you would like me to look up in the Cheshire directories let me know.Beacause our library has the books,and it's 95% quicker than using the directories on line ;D

Celia

Hi Celia,

thankyou for your reply.  I do not think George woods had a middle name as there are none showing on his birth or marriage certificate.  I believe the George you have as a steward in the national reserve is the correct man as it was said  that he worked in the officers mess.  I have addresses for this man in Chester,
1905  10 Steele Street
1922  11 Eastgate Row Chester  this was his address when he purchased a grave for his daughters burial.
1926  6 Priory  place   this was his address when he died

Unfortunately i am unable to trace any further information on george woods and am unable to travel to chester so any information that i get on him is greatly appreciated.

thankyou
snoopy

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 05 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Snoopy
well at least you now have rumour proved correct :) Like any Armed forces (but i am no expert with army issues,more navy)To obtain records i think you would need the regiment and there are many.You also talk of a full military funeral,maybe it was reported in the newspapers. It would have been a grand sight to see,who conducted the funeral.There is a small possibility to might find clues in both of these.I am not handy for chester Archives otherwise i would help.As Mack says you should try the army pention records.Email them and ask them they must have them.They don't charge for replying to emails ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 05 23:25 BST (UK) »
Snoopy i just found this website,it might be just what you want.There are other places besides kew that can help you.(That don't give you the impresion they are doing you favor by helping ;D ) Read the introduction page.

http://www.the-dicksons.org/army_ancestors.htm

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline snoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 05 09:42 BST (UK) »