Author Topic: rowe family mylor 1794 - 1850  (Read 1837 times)

Offline pjomsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
rowe family mylor 1794 - 1850
« on: Sunday 30 July 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
1794 marriage between John Rowe sojouner of Lanivet and Mary Rowe took place in Mylor. Banns stated as read. I can't find any record of the banns being read neither can I find any information about the genealogy of either of these two.
One of their sons, Richard Miners, born 1803 has no further records to be found. Any help available?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: rowe family mylor 1794 - 1850
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Cornwall-OPC-database has plenty of John Rowes around? ::)
Looking at baptisms, 1750-1775, in Lanivet and nearby parishes shows 8 baptisms for John Rowe.

Similarly, there are 3 Mary Rowe baptisms in and near Mylor, 1750-1775.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pjomsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I have found these records but the dates aren't accurate compared with those on the census.
I don't know that John Rowe was born in Lanivet and further work suggests as a mariner he got his certificate in Whitby. I think he might have died in the hospital at Haslar and if so he may well have left a will which contains enough for me to think it is likely to be correct although the will throws up some oddities.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
But, there are no dates on a census? Just age on the day of the census. ;D
Also, remember that age wasn't important back then - there were no Birth Certificates until 1st July 1837.

And, baptisms didn't necessarily take place soon after birth?
E.G. my daughters are 39 and have never been baptised!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

Where do you have them on census  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pjomsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
Mary and daughter Eliza, together with a Margaret MacDonnall who seems to have been a servant/help living in are in the 1841 Mylor census in Coventry St. I think this location is in Flushing which was part of Mylor at that time.
Another daughter surname Prior is in Moor St with her children in the same census.
10 years later you will find them all together in the Liverpool census minus Eliza who was dead. Margaret it called O'Donnell there and Charles is present as the head of house.
By memory I think you will find son John with wife Jane living in Falmouth 1841. She is in the 1851 census as a widow.
The son Frederick Hammond died aged 13/14 as the result of a ship's accident. You will find a parish record listed at Holt Trinity church I think in Gosport.

Offline pjomsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
To Kate Garrard. Yes I accept your points  but I use the age given on the census as  rough guide. By memory Mary is given as 75 in 1841 which encourages me to look for a birthdate of 1766 plus or minus 5. In 1851 I get a second chance to look at her age. She is then a visitor in Liverpool but the head of house has known her for a long time as has her daughter. Not accurate I concede, only a guide. In this circumstance I look to see if family names might give me some help to set the options in priority order.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
My name isn't Kate - I'm a chap!

The transcriptions on the Cornwall OPC site are directly taken from the parish registers.
So, far more accurate than the ages on census.

Finally, for the 1841 census the enumerators were given instructions to round DOWN to a multiple of 5 years. Most did; some didn't and recorded actual ages.

So Mary would have been between 75 and 79 on that census.

Offline pjomsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 July 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Whoops sorry!
I had forgotten about the 5 year recommendation. Her last child was born 1807 which would make her between 41 and 46 at birth. Given that my great grandmother had her last child aged 46 and she was Mary's grand daughter perhaps I should pay more attention to the 5 year allowance.