Author Topic: William BUTLER & Sarah BEDFORD married Aylesbury 6 Aug 1828  (Read 821 times)

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William BUTLER & Sarah BEDFORD married Aylesbury 6 Aug 1828
« on: Tuesday 01 August 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Familysearch, FindMyPast & Ancestry all have the same transcript of the above marriage.

Is someone able to check the PR or BT for me please (or a fuller transcript) to see whether it gives any indication that bride and/or groom weren't otp?  Ages, witnesses, any clues?  There is a suggestion that the couple emigrated to Canada in the 1840s and I'm wondering where they came from.

I think I've found the couple in the 1841 census, at Edgcott (which is very close to Grendon Underwood, I found an old post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369756.msg2444188#msg2444188 which may link in) but no trace of them by 1851.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: William BUTLER & Sarah BEDFORD married Aylesbury 6 Aug 1828
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
This is from the BucksFHS Transcripts CD. St Mary's, Aylesbury.

BucksFHS usualy put all the info that's in the parish regs, in their transcripts, and not just the basic info you get in FindMyPast or Anc.

Anyway......here it is.

Marriage - 6 Aug 1828. by Banns.
William(x)BUTLER, Bachelor otp
Sarah(x)BEDFORD of Twyford.
Witnesses - William Scott & William Anthony.

Twyford is close to Egcott & Grendon U/W.

These other marriages may be of interest, from same CD, discard or keep at your leisure.!

Marriage - 6 Oct 1733. 
Edward BUTLER of Aylesbury, Labourer
Mary HATTGOOD of Aylesbury

Marriage - 27 Aug 1747. by Banns
Daniel BUTLER, Bachelor of Waddesdon
Martha FREEMAN, Spinster otp.

Banns only - 15 Apr 1781.   
William BEDFORD otp
Mary HOWS of Chilton

Marriage -12 Feb 1787.   by Banns
Daniel BUTLER otp
Sarah X GATES otp
Witnesses -Thomas Braneley? & Robt Wheeler.

Marriage - 17 Nov 1799   by Banns
Daniel BUTLER otp
Elizabeth X BRANDOM otp
Witnesses  -Robt Wheeler & W Bunce 

There doesn't appear to be any children baptised there, nor births for William Butler, and Sarah Bedford that match.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
As an add on.........if you want more information, I would contact BucksFHS for any marriage, burials or baptisms from their databases.

There is a small fee(£1), for each 100 year, search in Buckinghamshire, for each occurence that you ask for.  That is, baptisms, marriages and burials. Marriages must occur in a Church, as they do not hold records for Registry Office marriages.  This is up to and including the year of 1901, from the year of c.1538.

As another asside, I have Hilsdons from Ludgershall, who eventualy track backwards to Horton, Oxfordshire.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help Steve and if you need any Wiltshire lookups done I can get to WSRO quite easily.

The couple's first-born was bap Twyford so that fits nicely with it being Sarah's home parish.  I think it's highly likely that her own parents were William and Sarah and that she was bap 1807.

Familysearch doesn't seem to have William Butler's birth at Aylesbury.  If he followed convention and named his first-born son after his own father, an 1804 bap at Grendon Underwood looks very attractive, but it's slightly "out" for the 1841 census age so I'll leave things unresolved for now.  Plenty more brick walls to tackle  :D

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
1841 census, should be used as a guide....ages can be up to 2 - 9 years out, with what I've found in the past.
It all depends on who gives the information, and whether or not the ages were rounded up or down.

Also, I really do suggest you have baptism search done....just for William Butler alone.  There could be more than one Butler family having Wiiliams born there, and baptisms are not the actual year of birth.
Also, do not get hung up on the naming patterns, it's never hard and fast.

I have only recently found that out, to my cost.  Luckily, I didn't have to change my tree that much, but had to remove/replace 2 generations.

Baptisms usually occur within about 4 - 6 months, but that's never always the case.  I've had one, baptised one week before a marriage, at the age of 22.  Also.....block baptisms.....sometimes 5 or more at  the same time.
I paid £1 last week.....and saved me a lot of grief and searching 'transcriptions' on FindMyPast, Anc. & FS.  And you very rarely get all the info, especially In Buckinghamshire.

Good luck, and good hunting.