Author Topic: looking for information on w.f.taylor from whitley bay  (Read 2347 times)

Offline neiltaylor999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for information on w.f.taylor from whitley bay
« on: Wednesday 16 August 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for information on my grandfather from whitley bay Northumberland who was imprisoned for manslaughter in the 1900s found information from the 1911 census to say he was in wakefield prison his name was William Forster Taylor born in 1880 whitley bay to William Alexander Taylor.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: looking for information on w.f.taylor from whitley bay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 18:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

What kind of info are you looking for - specifically details of his crime or something else?  Just so we don't waste time with info you already have
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat.

TAYLOR William Forster 1880 Dec 173
10b
Corrresponding 1911 items?

What precise details do you actually have?
Please include references and all certificate details.
What wuld you like that you do not actually have?

Details will stop duplication of effort/time for those wishing to help.

Thanks

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

Could your Grandfather have been the William Taylor of this headline 'Whitley Man Remanded'?  This person is recorded as living at 29 Rookery View, Whitley Bay, charged with unlawfully cutting and wounding. This William had stabbed a James Todd In 5 Hudson Street (likely North Shields)  Article in Shields Daily News Monday 12 December 1910.

Your Grandfather was born December quarter 1880 - Mother's maiden name Gillings.

I am working long shifts at the moment but I will likely be able to get to the library to find out more in a couple of weeks.  Since he was born in Whitley Bay he may have been baptised at St Paul.  This record may also provide birthdate. 

If the article mentioned above sounds like your William, it will also likely be recorded in the 'Whitley Chronicle Seaside & Visitors' Gazette held at North Shields library.  Would any of this be of interest?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline neiltaylor999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 August 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
my word you are truly amazing, this is almost certain to be my grandad as his mothers maiden name was gillings from Norfolk, we don't know who the other man was or why the event happen'd we were under the impression he was charged with manslaughter but we have no times or dates or records of the court hearing and are very new to this sort of thing so any more information would be really appreciated..

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
There are further articles in the Shields Daily News on the 13th December 1910 and Shields Daily Gazette 6th January 1911 ( you can locate by searching for Todd rather than Taylor - the print in the former, in particular,  is very dark and the optical reader probably did not pick up the name Taylor). The latter states the jury found him guilty "accused having a number of previous convictions was sent to prison for six months with hard labour".   

William

Added You can register for the British Newspaper Archive for free - I think you have three free articles when you do so. You should, therefore,be able to see the articles for yourself.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline neiltaylor999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
thank you William i will have to arrange a visit to the library to see if i can find this much appreciated.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
I found Mother's maiden name through a GRO search by the way.  I wonder if the William in the article may turn out to be your ancestor?   When I get time in a few weeks I will check the Whitley Seaside Chronicle & Visitors' Gazette for you regarding this story.  This newspąper is not on-line yet.

In my own experience I have sometimes found that newspapers of that time would only give a report of what happened but not the whys and wherefores - the story behind the story.  However, with enough digging sometimes it can be possible to get to the bottom of things.  My own Great Grandfather was reported in the Shields Daily News as having stabbed a named man in North Shields.  With a lot of digging, workhouse hospital records and lots more delving I eventually discovered that the stabbed man was his niece's husband and the latter had a long history as a wife beater and a bit of a trouble maker.  Although, I would not condone my ancestor stabbing someone I did get the impression that my Great Grandfather must have got to the end of his tether to do what he did.  The man in question did not die.  His poor longsuffering wife separated from him for a short period but then appears to have returned to him and stayed with until death.  They had children and society did not provide support for battered women then.😕  I hope you get to uncover the story behind the story in your own research.

By the way, the 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle & Visitors' Gazette' is a great newspaper for anyone with local seaside based ancestors in the Great War.  There are good photographs and reports and sometimes the paper printed letters which were sent home from the front.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline neiltaylor999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
thank you for all that you must be really good at this research thing and have the patience of jobe, i would like to add you to my buddy list if thats ok with you don't know much about it but am learning as i go along i am in your forever in your debt for what you have found out for me,Neil