Author Topic: French shorthand  (Read 815 times)

Offline cnwcywig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French shorthand
« on: Monday 21 August 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
I have discovered in a trunk of my grandfather's possessions a French prayer book, with a note in his handwriting that it was given to him by a Mlle. Germaine Capiez in Amiens in 1918. He was stationed there at the end of the war waiting to be demobbed.
Intriguingly there is an inscription in shorthand, which an internet search shows to be probably Duployan, the French system invented in the previous century. At least some of the squiggles look very similar. I was fascinated to see animated examples in Wikipedia of how the symbols join up to make a cursive script, but I can make nothing of it.

It's fairly faint, in pencil, but if I could copy and enhance it is there anyone here who could translate it for me?

Of course it might just be meaningless, or someone practising, or it could be something more!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: French shorthand
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi cnwcywig,

Can you attach a scan of the handwriting to the topic ?

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cnwcywig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Two scans. I've tried comparing the symbols with the Duployan  system but got nowhere.

Offline cnwcywig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry, the second one chopped a bit off

Offline Marianthompson47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 23 21:27 BST (UK) »
I have discovered in a trunk of my grandfather's possessions a French prayer book, with a note in his handwriting that it was given to him by a Mlle. Germaine Capiez in Amiens in 1918. He was stationed there at the end of the war waiting to be demobbed.
Intriguingly there is an inscription in shorthand, which an internet search shows to be probably Duployan, the French system invented in the previous century. At least some of the squiggles look very similar. I was fascinated to see animated examples in Wikipedia of how the symbols join up to make a cursive script, but I can make nothing of it.

It's fairly faint, in pencil, but if I could copy and enhance it is there anyone here who could translate it for me?

Of course it might just be meaningless, or someone practising, or it could be something more!
This looks like the shorthand I studied at school fifty odd years ago. (Prévost Delaunay)
I can read NE NE  Etc. It looks more like an exercise than coherent text or sentences.
D

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 September 23 10:21 BST (UK) »

Looks like Pitmans Shorthand  I did at school.

Norma