Author Topic: Edward Smith around 1700's Caldicot, Monmouthshire  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Smith around 1700's Caldicot, Monmouthshire
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a Vere Smith Baptised to a Edward Smith 5th October 1726 would like the name of the church he (Vere Smith) was baptised in please,  and I would like a look up please to find the marriage of his dad Edward Smith to his Mother the name of the church where they married, and I dont have her name as its not given on the Caldicot Births and Baptisms. Edward Smith died on 13 July 1795 Caldicot, Monmouthshire. 

I descend from this Vere Smith Born 1726 he married 4th March 1776 Elizabeth Jones at St Mary's Church, Chepstow.

They had a son a Vere Herbert Smith baptised 4 March 1778 (my Great Great Great Great Grandfather) Chepstow and married  Elizabeth James 16 May 1799 Chepstow, St Jerome Church, Llangywm.

They had a son Vere Smith (3 X Great Grandfather) Baptised 15 July 1805 Llandavenny married Elizabeth Thomas 14 Dec 1832 in Penhowe.

Daughter Susan Smith born Jan 1838 Penhowe. My 2 X Great Grandmother.

I wonder if I could have help with this family as the Herbert name also seems to appear throughout the Vere Herbert Smith family line down each generation and I wondered if Edward Smith had married a Herbert by surname and Im interested to find out more about the town Caldicot and its connection with the Vere Herbert Smith family.

I Look forward to any help that you can give.

Thanks

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Smith around 1700's Caldicot, Monmouthshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
VERE Smith Baptised 5 Oct 1726, St Mary***, Caldicot, Father EDWARD
(FreeREG)
Sibling THOMAS 13 Nov 1729 same details.

Are you saying Vere was 50 when he married?

Burials;
St Mary, Caldicot
ANNE 8 Oct 1731, Daug of Edward

THOS Smith baptises a Son VERE 14 Aug 1768

Have a look around on FreeREG if you havent already.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all

We have visited this family before. Did you read the last post by Helen Louise added to your previous thread in June?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766787.msg6274394#msg6274394

Helen may be better placed to help you as she has done a lot of work on this family!

Giggsy

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi trish1120 and giggsycat,

Thank you for both of your replies and the information in your posts and Im now looking at familysearch.org for Thomas Smith father of Vere Smith 14 Aug 1768 baptised at Caldicot.  Although I have a Vere Smith Baptised 21 Jan 1778 Chepstow, Forest of Dean parents Vere Herbert Smith Married Elizabeth Jones.

I will also contact Helen Louise for more information on this family as looking at her post seems to have researched this family well and in her post gives plenty of information in it.

Thank you for your help

Kind Regards

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi trish1120

Could you post the link in your post please as I tried to find it on Familysearch but couldnt find it thanks  - THOS Smith baptises a Son VERE 14 Aug 1768 

Thanks again

Elizlloyd

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 August 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
Its not on Familysearch that I know of, I posted to look around on FreeREG;
www.freereg.org.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 August 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi trish1120

Thank you I have just realised I was looking on the wrong site thanks for your help and putting me onto the right site appreciate that.  Thanks Elizlloyd

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 August 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi trish1120

I see now on the Freereg site that Thos Smith baptised Vere Smith at St John's Church, Llandenny 14 Aug 1768 so Im guessing this is my Great Great Great Great Grandfather and not Vere Herbert Smith baptised 4 March 1778 in Chepstow. 

Therefore am I right in thinking THOMAS baptised 13 Nov 1729 at Caldicot is my 5 x Great Grandfather and had a sibling ANNE 8 Oct 1731, Daug of Edward both baptised St Mary's Church, Caldicot.

Then Edward Smith is my 6 x Great Grandfather if so now I am looking for a marriage for Edward Smith possibly in St Mary's Church Caldicot.

Hope I have worked it out right ?

Thanks

Elizlloyd

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 August 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
To be honest I cant be sure that all of this is correct.

What irks me is that Vere 1726 and Thomas 1729 would be very old to have children in the 1760's/1770's.
It is possible we ate missing a generation here.

ANNE 1731 was a burial, not baptism so not sure when she was born.

Can you backtrack and tell me is you have a Burial with age for your Vere?
When/where did he marry?
Where did they have their children?