Author Topic: Marriages - GRO Indexes  (Read 1525 times)

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriages - GRO Indexes
« on: Wednesday 30 August 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am sure I have seen a post previously that detailed potential ways to identify if a marriage was church or registry (or catholic etc) based on the numbering system in a quarter.  i.e. there is some sort of order the different ones are recorded in, I have searched and now I cant find i - can anyone please enlighten me?

Thanks

ec

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages - GRO Indexes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 August 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
The Guild of One Name Studies has this for some marriages 1837-1911 but far short from all

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/

what are you trying to work out?

The theory and calculation is based on the cardinal points in the GRO indexes

You can do it your self if you have access to the parish register list and the actual images but it is long-winded.

What aren't inlcuded are everything outside of the Anglican marriages ie Jewish, Quaker, Catholic, other denominations and register office
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thats very helpful dawnsh and not something I was aware of, so very useful.

It is very useful to try and work out which church, however what I think I had seen previously was something along the lines of :

the first pages in a quarter are the entries from CofE churches, then there is a gap in numbers and then the registry office entries then a gap and the 'others'.

Does this ring any bells?

Thanks

ec

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry have just edited my post.

So how to work it out.

Use freebmd and do a marriage search for a particular year and quarter  in a specific registration district from the drop down box.

Once you have the results, copy and paste them into excel or other spread sheet.

Then do a sort by page number.

Freebmd returns the replies alphabetically by surname.

Once they are in numerical order go down the list carefully. You can (temporarily) overlook the numbers where there are unceratin character marks or ones in italics which are out of the page range sequence. I sometims do this, look for the oddballs, work out what they should be by having nother look at the imnage and then send corrections to freebmd.

There should be 4 names per page number.

The sequence started in 1837 was by church alphabetically so for example you would have All Saints, then Holy Trinity and then Saints by name so Andrew before Matthew and John. etc

However over the years the order has changed as parishes have got bigger and more churches established.

back to the numbers, you are looking for a break in the numbers, the first and then subsequent parish always start with an odd number.

If you can establish which church is the first in the sequence look down the numbers again - an example 337, 338, 339, 341 and note the breaks. In the example the church should change at 341.

It doesn't work where there are 2 or 4 entries on page 338, the next parish will start 339, not 341

You can work out where these ones are as the list of numbers may be obviously too long.

What may be vital is having access online to the parish registers either at ancestry or findmypast as you can use them to work out which entries belong to which church.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
 The index for marriages for some counties on the site www.ukbmd.org.uk includes the name of the church: but beware that where an entry reads "Registry Office" it doesn't mean that the marriage actually took place in the Registry Office, but that the Registrar was present (ie the marriage took place before the Registrar) - this was a requirement for all marriages other than those taking place in an Anglican church.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thats great - thanks for the explanation dawnsh

and thanks for the clarification re, registry entries cati  I take it that there is no way then to work out when the non CofE ones start and end and which order? 

I have mostly London marriages so UKBMD has not been much use for me and also lots of Roman Catholic marriages which would be attended by the registrar

thanks

ec

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
I take it that there is no way then to work out when the non CofE ones start and end and which order? 

I'm afraid my knowledge doesn't extend that far!
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks to dawnsh and cati for some great advice.

I've used a similar method to dawnsh for finding marriages in the unindexed images at SEAX (Essex parish registers). Basically find the last parish alphabetically, find the page numbers of the marriages in that parish, and work from there. Unfortunately for me, a lot of the marriages I'm looking for have higher page numbers, which suggests they're registry office or non-conformist (which aren't on SEAX).

Once they are in numerical order go down the list carefully. You can (temporarily) overlook the numbers where there are unceratin character marks or ones in italics which are out of the page range sequence. I sometims do this, look for the oddballs, work out what they should be by having nother look at the imnage and then send corrections to freebmd.

I'm glad it's not just me!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 August 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
most Anglican london marriages can be found on the GOONS marriage locator website.

You could try looking for newspaper announcements, I've found some Jewish weddings that way.

Chandler-Chelsea