Author Topic: Change of name  (Read 573 times)

Offline sutterp

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Change of name
« on: Friday 01 September 17 03:30 BST (UK) »
When a female marries, she usually got the surname of her husband. When she died, in German parish records, she is referred to by her maiden name.  Her maiden name was usually also written on her tombstone.

When a male child is born out of wedlock, his surname is that of his mother, irrespective of who the father is. I presume that I record his surname as stated in the parish record.

Now his mother marries and the child is 'legalised'. He now gets a new surname, namely the one of the husband of his mother, and this irrespective of whether the husband of his mother is his genealogical father. The fact of his change of name is certainly an event in his life, and I record it as such. I don't like to change his original surname, would however like to see that he has changed his name at first glance.

To complicate matters further, his parents die and he gets adopted. I record this also as an event. He has a third surname now.

Visitors of my tree often notify me that my tree is incorrect, because "Maidenname" was born but "Adoptedname" or "Legalisedname" died, that this is not the same person and that this is a mistake in my tree.

How to i record the name in a way that a superficial visitor understands the facts?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 September 17 07:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, sutterp.

Are you making the tree for visitors or for you?

You have clearly said here that you are recording all the changes in surnames.

I do not know what tree programme you are using to show to 'visitors', so do not know what variation in surnames it allows i.e. can it show Smith/Jones/Brown?

If they are superficial visitors, who then tell you that you are wrong, that is their error in not bothering to follow through what you have recorded.  They are hardly worthy of a reply.

If you are making the tree for visitors and lots of them mis-understand, then you need a big notice detailing the facts before they get to your tree, as an explanation of German records.

Probably others who have a similar family situation can give you better advice.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
If you have a section for notes in chronological order or one main note, this is what I would write.

e.g

On birth/baptism - BORN/BAPTISED 1822 - ILLEGITIMATE TAKES MOTHER'S NAME - SMITH

mother's marriage- MOTHER MARRIES ??FATHER/STEPFATHER 1823 TAKES NEW SURNAME - JONES

adopted - ORPHANED 1830, ADOPTED  TAKES SURNAME OF ADOPTED FAMILY - WILLIAMS

If there's nowhere for notes you could do this in the surname box

SMITH (MMN) JONES (MmarrN) WILLIAMS (adtd)

That's what I would do but as on my tree I can write notes I might also put in the surname box
SMITH/JONES/WILLIAMS.

People might then query what is written rather than say you have it wrong because you have put the change of names in.

If you don't want to do that as you say you want to stay in his MMN an answer to critics could be - I leave women with their original names don't you? ;D

:)

GEDmatch M157477