Author Topic: Merchant Navy records?  (Read 720 times)

Offline searchingforfoxalls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy records?
« on: Friday 01 September 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have an ancestor who was a captain in the merchant navy during both world wars. He captained a ship called the Diplomat which was torpedoed and sunk.

Does anyone know how I would access any records regarding the merchant navy? I would love to find more details about his service.

Many thanks.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy records?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 September 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, great place to start!

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 September 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
This link will give you some basics of the sinking.
http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/677.html
His medal entitlement can be downloaded from.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4337064
I guess you need to know details of his entire seagoing career?
Post early 1941 he should have a form CRS 10 which will give details of the ships he sailed on together with dates and places of engagement and discharge. If anywhere it should be available by a visit to the British National Archive.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10988954
Whilst there check out the survivors report for DIPLOMAT in
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=adm199%2F2134&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv  Page 229.
Also try find my past for records prior to 1941.
If all these draw a blank try Lloyd's Captains Register from London Metropolitan Archives.

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 September 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that Seaweed. Some of that information I already have. I'm particularly intrigued by the fact that some reports have my ancestor as being a casualty of the torpedoed Diplomat, while I know for a fact that he survived this as I had a great aunt who recalled 'he was never the same after he was torpedoed', having suffered injuries, but survived. It seems he never got over the loss of his men. I would be interested to see the incident report....

How did you know which page to look for?

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 September 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
How did I know which page. Easy. Just looked at the index available from TNA library. Which I have photographed.
He has records 1918 -1921 are on FindMyPast it gives a photograph of him together with the vessels he sailed on as Chief Officer 1918 the Liverpool registered vessel WAYFARER official number 118002, owned by the Charente Steamship co. ltd. 1919 cannot make out, and in 1921 the vessel EXPLORER o/n 131295 also registered in Liverpool and owned by Charente SS co. ltd.
His certificate number is also there 001281. This may mean his full Merchant Navy record is at Kew. Will get back to you if I can find it.
His WW1 Medal Entitlement.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=william+augustus&_ln=hansen&_pl=&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=BT+351&_cr2=MT+9&_col=200&_dt=BW&_hb=tna
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 September 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
I'm particularly intrigued by the fact that some reports have my ancestor as being a casualty of the torpedoed Diplomat, while I know for a fact that he survived this as I had a great aunt who recalled 'he was never the same after he was torpedoed', having suffered injuries, but survived. It seems he never got over the loss of his men.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission says he died on 14/Aug/1942, nearly two years after the sinking of DIPLOMAT.
Either he died as a direct result of wounds sustained in the attack by U-104 or as you suggest as the result of a Physiological episode brought about by the loss of his ship and crew.
Sadly, only one of thousands of Merchant Seamen who suffered a similar fate. Lest we Forget.

RIP Roger 10 August 2022