Author Topic: Two marriage entries  (Read 446 times)

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two marriage entries
« on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
My 3 x great grandparents married in Ewhurst Sussex - Daniel Durrant and Sophia Chapman. On the Family Search site there are 2 entries  for their marriage dated a few days apart. On one Daniel is recorded as married on the other he is recorded as single.
Is this a genuine mistake or should I be looking for a previous marriage for him and why 2 entries with different information.
Help please GCE

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriage entries
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
IMHO never trust transcriptions.  You need to view the original parish registers.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I am off to the records office to check out the Parish Registers
GCE

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Websites post indexes, transcriptions and collected/donated information, so you need the real records, so if they don't show the images then everything is just a clue, name/date/place and nothing more that you can look for the real record to prove it right or wrong. The great thing is the internet saves you time as you can look at that date/place without spending hours, days, weeks looking through all the parish books to find 'something'

I suspect what you saw is a marriage bann put down as a marriage, or a transcript and other information that was likely donated which are unchecked and just lumped in with others, or simply a miss transcription/people mistake. What used to be called IGI now called 'CD collections' and they are never to be trusted, nothing but the real record do you trust
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend