Author Topic: Hannah Stuttle c1829 (father - Henry, occ-Carpenter)  (Read 1659 times)

Online Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Stuttle c1829 (father - Henry, occ-Carpenter)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 September 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
In 1865 there's a marriage for William Stuttle father Henry a carpenter.

And a marriage for John Stuttle same fathers details in 1852.

No dau Hannah but a son named William age 20 and John age 12

Henry Stuttle  age 55
1841c https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQV7-RXJ
I believe his occupation is a carpenter, you would need to check

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline captainjackdi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
This might be a possible and father has died

Ann Stuttles widow 57 upholsteress
Hannah 22 daughter same occupation

Both born Colchester - does birthplace fit with Hannah after marriage?

Unfortunately husband William died in Poplar in 1878 and did not find any census after marriage to show where her birthplace was.  I did look into this one but the address Malden Road on 1841 shows the family and when I checked one of her siblings marriages, it stated John as the parent!

Offline captainjackdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
In 1865 there's a marriage for William Stuttle father Henry a carpenter.
And a marriage for John Stuttle same fathers details in 1852.

Will check these out as I did check one for a John Stuttle from1841 with mother as Ann but showed John as parent

Offline captainjackdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
The Henry that died in 1847 was 67 so born c1780.  He should be somewhere in 1841 for us to check his occupation.

I have seen this, and he was a carpenter, but others who are researching stuttle seem to have his wife as Lydia where there is no sign of a Hannah. Seems to be alot of Stuttles who are carpenters!

Offline captainjackdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, will go investigate some of the options you have given me.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Found the family in 1871 (on FindMyPast) surname transcribed as Lassen but on original clearly Laken:

William 43   Labourer
Hannah 43
John 21
Jane 19
William 10

Unfortunately they and large number of others all simply 'dittoed' as born Limehouse!

However, found a few trees on Ancestry but none had a daughter Jane Laken but found a birth entry in 1852 and checked this on GRO index and mmn was Harris (William Laken's first wife was Jane Harris).   Unfortunately, can't find the family on 1861 census. 

William and Hannah had a son William Henry birth Dec.1860 Stepney (mmn Stuttle) - when John Laken married a witness was W H Laken.

I would say that the Hannah Laken widow on 1881/1891 census born in Colchester is Hannah nee Stuttle possibly born a little earlier than she admitted to when she married William Laken.

Annette   

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
would say that the Hannah Laken widow on 1881/1891 census born in Colchester is Hannah nee Stuttle possibly born a little earlier than she admitted to when she married William Laken.

Not unheard of if she was older than him.  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline captainjackdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 September 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
Found the family in 1871 (on FindMyPast) surname transcribed as Lassen but on original clearly Laken:

William 43   Labourer
Hannah 43
John 21
Jane 19
William 10

Unfortunately they and large number of others all simply 'dittoed' as born Limehouse!

However, found a few trees on Ancestry but none had a daughter Jane Laken but found a birth entry in 1852 and checked this on GRO index and mmn was Harris (William Laken's first wife was Jane Harris).   Unfortunately, can't find the family on 1861 census. 

William and Hannah had a son William Henry birth Dec.1860 Stepney (mmn Stuttle) - when John Laken married a witness was W H Laken.

I would say that the Hannah Laken widow on 1881/1891 census born in Colchester is Hannah nee Stuttle possibly born a little earlier than she admitted to when she married William Laken.

Annette

Great find, thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 September 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
I believe the Henry and Lydia in Stepney 1841 census are Hannah's family even though she is not with them.  Have found her baptism in 1820 so she was indeed older than stated when she married.  I would think she was probably working as a servant and her surname possibly mis-transcribed.

Hannah and Lydia's children baptised Greenstead Juxta Colchester (Essex Baptism Index on FindMyPast):

Robert bp.28/10/1817, son of Henry Stuttle, carpenter and Lydia
Hannah bp.8/5/1820,   dau.               ditto
Thomas bp.11/10/1822 son                ditto
Samuel bp.4/4/1824     son                ditto
Jane Lydia b.3/8/1835, bp.8/7/1838  dau.               ditto      (residence Stepney)
Mary A R b.19/1/1838, bp.8/7/1838  dau.               ditto      (residence Stepney)

Plus - as shown on census - there were 2 other children William b.1816-1821 (age rounded down to 20) and John ca.1828-9 but haven't found baptisms for them.   Nor can I find a marriage for Henry Stuttle to Lydia probably ca.1815.

Since Mary was born 1838 was hoping to find her birth entry on GRO index to establish mother Lydia's maiden name - unfortunately, does not look as if her birth was registered.

I suspect Henry may have been a widower when he married Lydia - a Henry Stuttle married a Sarah Turner 25/7/1801 Gestingthorpe, Essex and found 3 children baptised Colchester: Henry William bp.15/9/1805, Sarah Ann bp.25/2/1807 and Charles bp.24/11/1808.   A Sarah Stuttle bc.1781 bur.28/9/1813 Colchester.

Annette

Even though 2 children born in Stepney they were taken back to Essex to be baptised. 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk