Author Topic: Eliza Jane Woolley  (Read 7141 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Jane Woolley
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
NSW BDM online index has following births INDEXED for William P and Eliza WOOLLEY:

1868 Walter T, #11818, Moama
1874 Eliza Jane, (William Philip !)  #2800, Sydney
1877 Unnamed, #9322, Broulee
1879 Charles N (William Philip and Eliza Theabald as given names !) #10765, Broulee
1884 Louisa #5844, Canterbury
1887 Anne, #5393, Canterbury

There was also a son Thomas John born in Queensland in 1872, so if they were moving around a bit that might be an explanation of missing birth registrations if there are any.

Debra  :)

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 10 September 17 07:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you JM.
The more I read the posts the more convinced I am that there have been alot of errors in records kept by BDM. I have heaps of questions now. Why doesn't the headstone have Jane E Woolley on it, as she was obviously known as Jane not Eliza?. When was she really born if she was born 14 Nov 1874 is it possible she had her first baby at the age of 11
 I think that is unlikely. Her birth year has to be in the 1860s to be realistic.
I did find a Jane C Woolley born in 1868 her parents were Thomas Woolley and Catherine A Wright.
I am thinking maybe Jane was orphaned and possibly reared by William and Eliza but how do you explain the headstone having Eliza Jane Woolley instead of Jane E.
I really hope we can crack this mystery.
Allison 😉

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 10 September 17 08:14 BST (UK) »
I think the plaque contains misleading information.   There's no-one charged with the authority to check headstone/tombstone/plaque information.  It is 'submitted' by 'interested' people. 

I think you need to obtain NSW BDM official transcription for the birth registration of child/ren of Charles RICHARDS to determine information about their mum.

Most INDEXES, including today's databases, will have flawed information.   NSW BDM's online index was initially based on an index prepared in the 1930s when teams of volunteers helped go through the original holdings and transcribed the longhand writing, some of which was first recorded back 1787 baptisms in the first fleet. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 10 September 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
The mum of Charles' children does NOT have to be born in New South Wales  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 10 September 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
I have researched Eliza Jane Woolley that was with Charles Henry Richards and on her death records found on the Australian Cemeteries Index it states that her parents were in fact William P Woolley and Eliza Theabold district BURWOOD. I want to prove that Eliza jane James is from the same family but not the daughter of William Phillip and Eliza, but it states  on the death record that Eliza Jane James parents are William and Eliza district REDFERN ....

The information on the Australian Cemeteries Index is based on the information on the plaque.  It has not been validated, but it is there like all information in any index as a pointer to help the researcher look for the primary record.    So for example when reading the inscription info for Eliza Jane you can drill down and there's a list of children, including Ruby Ellen.      And then when I go to NSW BDM online Index for births ... there's a birth for a Ruby E  registered at Katoomba in 1894 with parents indexed as Charles H and Elizabeth RICHARDS.  (#17294)  ....  You would need to obtain the actual information on the actual birth registration to learn if her mum was 'your' Eliza Jane WOOLLEY.

It is the intrigue that makes family history such an addictive hobby.  ;D

I am often considered to be old fashioned and/or pedantic when it comes to family history searchings.  But to me, when I read that someone has researched a NSW person, that use of the word 'research' and NSW .... well it means they have found the information on official records, not just found indexes.   You will find others will disagree with me, but if you seek out official records and then develop your questions from there, you will become less disappointed with the flaws in both indexes and actual documents.

JM

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 10 September 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
I have just purchased a copy of the birth certificate for Dorothy Richards which is the youngest child of Charles and Jane. Hopefully it will provide some useful information.
Jane Richards death certificate has William P and Eliza as her parents. Would the death certificate have the correct date of birth on it and list all her children and husband?
I wondered if it would be worthwhile getting a copy of it.
Kind regards,
Allison 😊

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 11 September 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Alison, are you using a transcription agent for the certificates. It's a cheaper option and they send by email.

I'd wait to get the child's birth certificate before getting the death cert.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 11 September 17 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice. I purchased the birth certificate for Dorothy Richards from BDM NSW. I didn't know you could get it from a transcription service. I paid $33 and it will be emailed to me.
Could you please recommend a transcription website.
Kind regards,
Allison 😊

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 11 September 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
... there's a birth for a Ruby E  registered at Katoomba in 1894 with parents indexed as Charles H and Elizabeth RICHARDS.  (#17294)  ....  You would need to obtain the actual information on the actual birth registration to learn if her mum was 'your' Eliza Jane WOOLLEY.

JM

JM the birth of Ruby E is I think this one....

RICHARDS RUBY E
5447/1888
CHARLES H
JANE E
BURWOOD

WOOLLEY RUBY E
5447/1888
JANE E
BURWOOD

Makes Jane a very young Mum if she was born in 1874, but I think we have established that she wasn't that child born to William and Eliza.

I agree with Jamjar - wait for the birth cert which will give you Jane's age and birthplace.

Transcription agents are listed here:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

Debra  :)