Author Topic: Gloucestershire look up.  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Emmarebecca88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gloucestershire look up.
« on: Wednesday 13 September 17 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for help locating a George henry Costins and his wife Harriett between 1885-1890. During that time they had 3 children
George James 1885 Gloucester, Lillie Harriett E Costins 1887 Gloucester,
Edith Costins 1890 Gloucester. From baptism records I have managed to obtain 2 address's 1885-Alma place and 1890- sunningdale terrace. I have tried to find George at the above addresses on the electoral roll but have had no luck as of yet. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated🙂

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucestershire look up.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi as far as the 1891 census is concerned this appears to be where the family were living:-

George Costins 28 occ Furnace Man in Iron Works b Newport, Monmouthshire
Harriet 23 b Elmore, Gloucestershire
James 5 b Gloucester
Lily 3 b Gloucester
Edith 10 months b Gloucester
Residing at Linden Road, Gloucester
Census Ref RG12/2016/63/31
Keyboard86

PS Alma Place is close to this address, why specifically are you searching for him at those addresses?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmarebecca88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you, i have George and Harriett from solidly from 1891 untill his death in 1925, although he's listed on the census in 91 he's not on the electoral roll for linden road so I'm trying to find where they were for the missing years of 85-91. There's no particular reason I am searching at those addresses other than that they are all I have to go off I'm afraid. I should add George was illegitimate and Costins was 'potentially' his mothers name I have no birth certificate for him and in the 1871 census he was listed as George bullock- nephew although by 1881 he was listed as George Costins son so I can't be 100% sure whether he was a bullock or Costins but bullock is only used the once from what I have found.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
He may not have been entitled to vote in those years?

The Representation of the People Act 1884 (aka the Third Reform Act) extended voting rights to all men paying an annual rental of £10 and all those holding land valued at £10.

The 1884 Reform Act did not establish universal suffrage: although the size of the electorate was increased considerably, all women and 40% of adult males were still without the vote.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1871 as you say he is George Bullock, Nephew to Benjamin McMillan.
Benjamins Wife Elizabeth is born Cheletenham, Glous.
But in 1881 he is the Stepson of Benjamin which implies Elizabeth is Georges Mother.

1861 Elizabeth is home in Glous.
She may have gone to Wales or Work and got pregnant or gone to Wales to have George so no one knew.
Either way there is no Birth Reg as you know under Bullock/Costins for him c 1861-1865 in Monmouthshire.

By 1868 she is back in Glous and married Benjamin.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
1861 we have;
Elizabeth Costine, 30, Head, Unm, Dressmaker
Harriett Costine, 28, Sister
Hellen Costine, 21, Sister
Eveline Flaence Costine, 2mths, Neice
William Godsill, 3, Visitor

Eveline Florence seems to be reg as;
COSTINS, CAROLINE  FLORENCE HARDING, Mothers mn COSTINS ****
GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in CHELTENHAM  Volume 06A  Page 379

Now in 1871 she is just and living in Worcestershire;

Elijah Farmer, 54, Head, Mar, Farmer, born Castlomeston, Worcestershire
Mary Farmer, 68, Wife, Mar, born Malvern, Worcestershire
Florance Castine, 10, Neice, born Cheltenham, Gloucestershire****

Elijah married Mary Costins 1844 Glous. James/Hannah Costins were witnesses.(from Baptism Elizabeths Parents)

1851 you may have found who turns up in Worcs with the Farmers;
Elijah Farmer, 35
Mary Farmer, 47
Sarah Farley, 10
Benjaman Macmillan, 16, Servant, born Gloucestershire

Quite an interesting Family ;D

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Emmarebecca88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much that's fab, I already have Caroline Florence in my tree but i was under the impression from the baptism that Costins was the fathers name, I never looked on the gro for her birth, but now I come to think of it it also states Elizabeths home address on the baptism, I'm going to have to go a bit deeper with her now I think 🙂
I too noticed Benjamin McMillan in the 1851 census with the Farmers not that long ago after delving a bit further it appears that benjamins mother was an Ann Costins who was Mary Farmers sister and Elizabeth's fathers brother, so if I'm correct Mary was his aunt and Elizabeth and Benjamin were actually cousins.
As for George's birth been in wales I think your probably right her sister Ellen did marry someone from a nearby wales area but that was not untill 1865 so maybe they went together, or Ellen was already courting John Parry and Elizabeth stayed with her whilst she had the baby? It's all speculation of course but I have just received George's death certificate in the post and that points more to him been born 64/63 so it is a possibility. Thank you for all your help, your absolutely brilliant at this 🙂

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Your very welcome and I am glad I could help a bit.
You seem to be very competent at putting this all together yourself :)