Author Topic: Rebecca Good - Ahinagh (Aghinagh) Cork - Looking for Birth Record b. ~1827-1832  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Caroline NJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello!

I recently started working on my Family Tree in County Cork, through my paternal grandfather, Thomas Herbert Moore (Church of Ireland).  His mom was Mary Esther "Minnie" Moore.  Mary's father was William Harold (Harrold) from Knockshanawee (Knockshanavee) Cork and her mother was Rebecca Good, according to her birth record (born April 1, 1866 of William Harold and Rebecca Harold, formerly Good, in Knockshanawee, Cork birth registered May 26, 1866 in District of Temple Martin, in the Union of Bandon). 

I cannot find a birth record for Rebecca.  I did find a record for her marriage to William Harrold (his father Charles) on May 30, 1854 on FamilySearch.org, which states she was from Ahinagh, Cork and her father was James Good.  Seeing that Aghinagh was very near Macroom, I searched the Macroom Parish Register and found three children born to James and Ann Good of Ummery, Hannah on March 27, 1819, James May 11, 1821 and Sarah on January 20, 1825 but no births are recorded for this couple after Sarah.  I saw a Roots Chat posting by a Barry Bradfield stating that Ann Bradfield and James Good were married in 1816 with the acronym "MLB" after the entry. Also that both Ann Bradfield and James Good died in 1862 so there is a good possibility that more children were born but for some reason were recorded elsewhere or not recorded.  I do not know from what records that this Roots Chat member obtained the marriage of Ann Bradfield and James good and their birth and death years (Ann 1784-1862) and (James 1779-1862).

I also see in the Tithe Applotment records that both James and William Good have lands in Mashaneglass (Mashanaglass) Well farm and in Ummery (Ummera).

I have several questions that I was hoping to get some help with:

1)  I was going to try to reach Barry Bradfield or other Roots Chat members to see where the marriage record for Ann Bradfield and James Good could be found, since I couldn't find it in the Macroom Parish records.  I guess this would make sense since the marriage may have taken place elsewhere, in the bride's parish and after would they settle where her husband lived and worked.  Perhaps someone could help me find where this marriage took place?

2) Would anyone happen to know what "MLB" means?

3)  Assuming that Rebecca Good was the daughter of James Good in Aghinagh (based on the information on her marriage record) I would like to find her birth/baptism record to continue the family tree.  Her birth would have been somewhere between 1827-1832.  This birth period is based off her age listed on the 1901 Census (Rebecca Harold - Knockshanawee) as being 70, and also her death record showing her age as 77 as of her death on November 20, 1905.

4)  I would also like to know what the names of Church of Ireland Churches in which these events occurred (birth of Rebecca Good, the marriage of what I assume are her parents, Ann Bradfield and James Good). Also what graveyards would James and Ann Good likely to be buried in?

I appreciate and look forward to receiving the advice of RootsChat members. 

Thanking you in advance!

Best regards,

Caroline NJ

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Good - Ahinagh (Aghinagh) Cork - Looking for Birth Record b. ~1827-1832
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

You will not find a 'birth' record as it is years before civil registration so you are looking for a baptism record
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Caroline NJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Good - Ahinagh (Aghinagh) Cork - Looking for Birth Record b. ~1827-1832
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Iluleah,

Thank you for explanation re: births vs. baptisms. I read online that civil records for births, marriages and deaths are from 1864 onwards in Ireland. I have a lot to learn about this and appreciate your assistance.

Caroline NJ

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 00:34 BST (UK) »
I'm not convinced the RC Aghinagh James and Ann Good are the same couple as James Good and Ann Bradfield.
The Good Branfield marriage is COI and their daughter Rebecca's marriage is recorded as taking place in Ahinagh which is the spelling used for the COI parish.

Offline Caroline NJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Thank you very much for the great information that you have provided to me. I did not have a copy of the Marriage License bond for James Good and Anne Bradfield from 1816 and really appreciate receiving a copy of this record from you.  Also, thank you for sending the death records for Rebecca Harold and William Harold, it is much appreciated!  I did have those records but it took me much longer to find them than you did; you're very proficient at this!

I was hoping that you could answer some questions with regard to the Marriage License Bonds for Cork and Ross.  Do you know if these marriage license bonds for Cork and Ross are for Protestant marriages only, Catholic Marriages, or both?  I don't want to assume and there is a mixture of Protestant and Catholic marriages within my family tree, including my own parents (my own father is Catholic, and my mother protestant but she converted to Catholicism).  Also would like to find out what church Ann Bradfield and James Good where married in.

Also, do you have any advice on how I could find out where Anne Bradfield is from?  I can't imagine that she would have been too far from Aghinagh/Ahinagh were she lived after marrying James Good.  (Maybe she is in the Macroom Parish Register and I missed it, I am going to double-check it). You provided me with the List of Records of COI registers but apparently there is no Parish register book for Aghinagh only a Vestry book/Miscellaneous Papers/Tithe Book.  I have a number of questions from this great advice that you provided:

1) Are Ahinagh and Aghinagh the same parish/place in county Cork, just with a variation of spelling?

2)  Can you tell me the differences in information contained in a Vestry book vs. a Parish Register?  I feel pretty sad after looking at this comprehensive, detailed list of COI Parish registers as it appears that the Aghinagh/Ahinagh, as well as Aglish Parish registers (where the Harold family lived) were destroyed in the PROI fire in 1922 and not saved.  Perhaps the information I am looking for will be found elsewhere.

3)  I found the baptism records of three children (Hannah, James & Sarah) of Ann (Bradfield) and James Good who married in 1816 in the Macroom register available online, but none recorded after that. I am trying to find the baptism record for Rebecca Good.  Rebecca would have been born sometime after the first three children, in the period 1827-1831.  Ann and James had a farm in the area and I don't think they moved so I am wondering were her baptism record would have been recorded, if not in Macroom then where?  If you have some ideas on this I would be very grateful for your advice. I am basing my belief that Rebecca is the daughter of this couple on the 1854 marriage record I found for her, stating that she was from Ahinagh and that her father was James Good.

Thank you very much for your advice and the great records you provided to me today; I really appreciate it!

Caroline NJ

Offline Caroline NJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,

Thank you for your reply!  I am a little confused by the reference to the Catholic Marriage you mentioned and that there may be two different couples, one Catholic and the other Protestant.

I wanted to let you know that the births I looked up on the Macroom Register were derived from a link on www.durrushhistory.com and that register is referred to as Church of Ireland, and the three births for Hannah, James and Sarah, are of James Good and his wife Anna, of Ummery and for each of these births the Parish is referred to as "Ahinah" and for the last birth, the Minister is Simon Davies.

I think that this couple is then COI and I confused the issue by the spelling variant "Aghinagh" that I used intermittently in my description.  Is James Good and his wife Anna then a COI couple, based on what I described?  And is this Anna the Anna Bradfield as referenced in the Cork and Ross Marriage License bonds in her marriage to James Good that you provided to me?

Also, do you think the above may be the parents of the Rebecca Good married in 1854, from Ahinagh?

I will be back on the Forum tomorrow, in between other work I need to get done.