Author Topic: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness  (Read 5815 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren PLEASE HELP FURTHER!!!! YOU FOUND MY FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 October 19 07:56 BST (UK) »
I know that his older brother William was my grandads uncle because he had a brother called billy (William) and as per Scottish tradition it is an honour to name your first born child or children after yourself.
That is not the case.

The tradition is
First daughter after mother's mother, first son after father's father.
Second son after mother's father, second daughter after father's mother
Third son after father, third daughter after mother

So you only name a child after yourself it it is the third, not the first born, of its sex.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 October 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
If your grandfather was born in 1936 then it is unlikely your great grandfather was born in 1871. Although it is an unusual name, there are quite a few Davren births, deaths and marriages in the Scottish records at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk Also quite a few in the Glasgow electoral rolls. You need to work back from what you know. You could start with your grandparents marriage or if you are completely sure that your grandfather was born in 1936 then you could order up his birth certificate. That will give you the names of both his parents and the date and place of their marriage. You can then obtain their marriage certificate which will give you their ages ( and hence year of birth) and the names of their parents. It is then a question of working back systematically. Once you are back past 1911 you can also make use of census information.
Looking at the 1936 birth it is registered in the district of Camlachie, Glasgow. There looks to be a distinct Davren grouping in that area. There is a possible marriage in 1935 that could be his parents ( but you would need to confirm this with documents).
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 October 19 09:05 BST (UK) »
Here are the birth and marriage references from Scotlandspeople.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 October 19 11:42 BST (UK) »
Your family arrived in Fremantle from Aden on board the Fairsea on 26th March 1963. There is a shipping list on Ancestry. Two Persons named John and two named Patrick ( mistranscription for Patricia).

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 October 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
Your family arrived in Fremantle from Aden on board the Fairsea on 26th March 1963. There is a shipping list on Ancestry. Two Persons named John and two named Patrick ( mistranscription for Patricia).

That is just incredible, thank you very much for that information

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 October 19 13:55 BST (UK) »
Am I right in thinking your grandfather John had a brother called William? Do you know if he was older or younger? Were there any other brothers and sisters that you are aware of.

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 October 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Am I right in thinking your grandfather John had a brother called William? Do you know if he was older or younger? Were there any other brothers and sisters that you are aware of.

Hi, I think I have been told that Billy (William) was older by a few years infact I think out of the 6 kids Grandad was the youngest, but I will ask my dad the age rank in the morning.
He then had another 4 siblings. Jess, Sarah (known as Sadie) Helen, and Alex

I also found out tonight from my Aunty that she is more than certain that my Grandads Parents were John And Sarah Davren

I also got word from my brother that my Father is the 4th John Davren, so I know as far up as my Great Great Grandfather, was Also A John Davren

and thank you again

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 October 19 14:40 BST (UK) »
Here are the birth and marriage references from Scotlandspeople.

Thank you, Thank you

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 October 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
You definitely need to start on Scotlands People with purchasing the birth certificate of your grandfather John Davren b.1936 Camlachie to definitely determine the names of his parents.

If, for instance, it was as you suggest and that his parents were a John and Sarah there is only one marriage between a John Davren (indexed on SP as Davrin although quite clearly Davren on marriage certificate (had a few credits left) - however, this John wasn't the son of a John!

John Davren, Motor Lorry Driver, 23, son of Arthur Davren and Helen Hosie and Sarah Cunningham Winning, 20, dau. of George Winning and Annie Cunningham, married 12/6/1931 Calton, Glasgow.   

So, this dispels the belief that you come from a long line of John's and also that your grandfather was the youngest of 6 since he was born 1936 and John and Sarah had only been married 5 years at this point.   

However, the most important thing is to make sure you set off on the right foot and that is by purchasing a copy of your grandfather's 1936 birth certificate to definitely determine who his parents were. (It may indeed have been John and Sarah - who can say at this point - but family beliefs can get confused over the years .   There are, for instance, 3 birth entries for a Helen Hosie Davren - one in 1921 Bridgeton (dau. of Arthur and Helen?), one in 1936 Provan (same year your grandfather born but different place) and the third in 1940 Bridgeton. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk