Author Topic: William Dickson  (Read 1000 times)

Offline tiptop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Dickson
« on: Friday 29 September 17 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot and Jim1 you both helped me so much a few months ago with my ggg grandfather WIlliam Dickson ,  he was a farmer in Wheldrake Yks . I haven't been able to go any further back but one day a John Dickson appeared on the screen with a wife Martha and a son William . So I wondered if he could be an ancestor ? When I was a child I would sometimes visit Heslington churchyard with my father , there were quite a number of Dickson graves there and my father said they old cousins.One was John Dickson 12-9 1777-1850 , I wrote these down years ago on a visit back to York . Do you think there could be a connection? . I would be so delighted if you can help me again . Tiptop

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Dickson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiptop,

There is a very distant link to the Dicksons of Heslington in my tree.  Interestingly this also goes back to Wheldrake and the Etherington family.

Anyway I followed my Heslington Dickson line back to George and his wife Ellen Holbourn who both died in 1835 and were buried together in St Paul's churchyard.  From his age at death, 77, George was born about 1758.  There is a baptism for a George Dixon in Wheldrake in 1757 son of John and also one for William 1747 son of John.  Could this be the link between your Dicksons and those of Heslington?  Not enough information to prove it but might be a theory worth following up.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk