Author Topic: Marriage licence/entry discrepancy  (Read 406 times)

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage licence/entry discrepancy
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 18:32 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage licence for Thomas Creswick and Elizabeth Stubbin of Chesterfield, dated 1st June 1700. However, Thomas Creswick married an Elizabeth Moore on 5th June 1700 in Chesterfield.

It's almost certainly the same man. Does anyone have any thoughts about why Elizabeth's surname is different? An error? Sudden change of heart? She was a widow and one was her maiden name? No clue is given by the marriage entry as to her marital status.

Mike
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage licence/entry discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
I can’t answer your specific question, but on the back of the marriage bond is written (in Latin) ...

Let a licence be issued for a marriage between Thomas Creswick of the parish of Chesterfield in the county of Derby, bachelor, aged 36 years, and Elizabeth Stubbin of the same parish and county, spinster*, aged 35 years. Sworn before me, H. Audsley, surrogate.

* The Latin is solutam (literally ‘free to marry’), which is normally interpreted as spinster.