Author Topic: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?  (Read 23502 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?
« Reply #54 on: Monday 15 April 19 09:01 BST (UK) »
I paid a visit to the Isle of Man Civil Registry just this week.
For a fee of £5.50, I was able to search the 1885 Register of Births, and photograph the required entry. Only available in person, of course. :D
Was the £5.50 a per visit or a per certificate fee?

Neither! ;D
Per register! If I need to look at numerous births in the same year, then it's just £5.50.
Each year is a single register; and separate registers for Births, Marriages and Deaths.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 15 April 19 09:36 BST (UK) »
Scottish certificates are different again.  I have had the certificates of my children and my certificate rejected when a UK birth certificate is asked for.  I was even barred from applying for a job because I don't have a "valid UK birth certificate".

I can't afford to go abroad just now but know even if I end up financially better off I don't think I'll be able to take my children abroad on holiday.  The child trafficing rules would also requir that I have a letter of permission from their father.  My ex would never give me that.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 15 April 19 15:22 BST (UK) »
Scottish certificates are different again.  I have had the certificates of my children and my certificate rejected when a UK birth certificate is asked for.  I was even barred from applying for a job because I don't have a "valid UK birth certificate".
I am shocked! Where was this?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 15 April 19 15:42 BST (UK) »

A large national company whom I won't name for fear of being sued.  They told me I had to apply to the Home Office for leave to remain and a work permit.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 15 April 19 16:33 BST (UK) »

A large national company whom I won't name for fear of being sued.  They told me I had to apply to the Home Office for leave to remain and a work permit.
I think you ought to be suing them!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.